Another Which High End Buggy Should I buy Thread!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untchbl

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I pretty much only have two choices. Either a MBX-5, or one of the kyosho's. I don't really want to spring the jack for a k3, or the new trip.7 special 1, but I can easily shell out about 550 for just the kit.

Or am I a fool, and just save until I can afford one of the ones with all the bells and whistles.

Tell me why, or why not? Remember, I'll be learning in teh buggy world. And just for the record, I've been researching this for a month now.

Brandon

P.S. Any of you fellas that are, or know someone that would be interested in a trade for a monstergt for one of the above buggies, or maybe just to buy the gt, hit me up. And see my add in the for sale section. I need to get rid of this thing to fund my buggy setup.

Hey I have a K3 and it is great as is the MBX5 but I know for sure my next buggy will be the X-Ray XB8. You need to look at that one for sure. I have seen them on e-bay for 550.00 and they come with all the nice race things. They also come with Hudy tools! No need to buy other springs or pistons it has them. I love my K3 but now with the mbx5 and xb8 price I wouldn't spend the high dollar on Kyosho anymore. Just my .02

very good input, and I kinda here ya on the price thing.

I'll look at the xray buggy, but I just don't see many parts for them here locally.

Brandon

Give it time if the stock the X-Ray on-road I think they will have the buggy stuff. The hobby Towns in CO have orders in and they don't even do buggy stuff as of now! I know that the parts are going to be in US shops in Sep. so you may want to hold of for a few weeks to pick. I think they will be just like K and M cars E-bay will have every part all them time for us to buy. I know this sucks but in the long run it is the way to buy.

hmmm, well I have a hobby towne close to me, so I'll have to ask the guys there. The owner is a total putz though, so will see.

Brandon

Most of them are... Don't forget that buggy's are pretty durable regardless which one you buy. Buying parts from tower may be your only option, but if a buggy is anything like my savage, the only things you will need are fuel and glow plugs.

Yes they are that's why I buy parts on-line most of the time. It has been hard for me to find good shops that stock 1/8 buggy stuff in the towns I have lived in.

if I go with the mugen, ofna, or kyosho, all the parts are right at the shop where I will be racing.

I am really attracted to the thought of being able to just go racing and not have to worry to much about breaking. It's just that initial cost that is tough.

Brandon

I bet they will have X-Ray if they stock all the other ones. You can't go wrong with any of the three. I have never had good luck with the Ofnas but know people that run them just fine. I would ask the track if they are going to get the X-Ray.

I doubting it, but you never know.

The mugen is looking good. Now to find one for cheap. :D

Just remember that most of these high end buggies are kit buggies and do not come ready to run. You will need to shell out some coin for an engine, pipe, and electronics. If you don't have a starter box and go that way in the engine department, there is another sum of money.

When I purchased my MBX-5, I ended up spending over a grand to get the thing up and running.

As for which one to go with, I would say you can't really go wrong with any buggy you buy. I have seen the GS Storm perform just as well as my Mugen. Granted I did not break nearly as many parts as I have seen break on the Storm. I have seen every variety of the K buggies except the Trip 7, and they are quite good buggies.

I would say go with what your wallet will allow and move up from there. I did, and am about to add two more buggies to my collection (another MBX-5 PROSPEC style and a GS Storm.)

I guess my point is to not limit yourself to only the new or high end of the buggy arena. You might find a decent deal on a used buggy or a new not so high end buggy and have just as much fun.

All good info! I'm very open to the idea of a nice used ofna or something to get my feet wet. However I'm also aware that I will be buying a starter box, motor, pipe, two high end servo's, and all the supporting hardware for this buggy, so why not just spend 200 bucks more over a storm and get a high end one. I will only be bashing once in a blue moon. I will be racing this thing once a week and practicing just as much, if not more, just as soon as I have it.

Brandon

No worries. For some reason I got the impression that cost might be a factor here. If cost is no object, then knock yourself out.

The final thing I will throw at you is to keep in mind what brand your LHS supports. It would really suck if your LHS did not supply parts for the buggy you purchased. You would then be stuck waiting the couple of days for mail order parts whenever you broke something. This might not be as big an issue for the racer, but it is still a good thing to keep in mind.

skymaxx, I hear ya on the local shop thing. They keep all 3 big ones, mugen, kyosho, and ofna around. I'm almost feeling bad that I'm not going to buy it from them. My money is hard earned however.

And secondly, I am on a budget of course, but if it's something that I just have to save a bit harder for, or pic up some extra weekend work, then I'll do it. I just can't go throwing all my money at it, you know.

Right now I'm trying to devise a budget for the truck so I can look at how much I'm going to have to spend.

Right now I'm at:
Kit
engine
pipe
tires
2 servos & a reciever, maybe 1 new set of crystals
starter box
other misc. odds and ends

I'm thinking this might be something, where I buy the kit, build it, and then start looking for good deals on everything else, and just start collection the pieces. That way I don't have the huge initial investment.

And I agree with scummer, that is a good deal on the K2 buggy. Oh the choices. lol

Brandon

Cool. Looks like a good plan. You have been given my two cents...so, I'll step out and wish you luck with your purchase. I know you will have a blast with whatever you buy.

thanks skymaxx,

The rc god's are happy with me I guess, cause I just had a buddy call and say I could have his 6 month old, complete cleaned and rebuilt roller mbx-5, with an ofna pipe for $350! woot. Now I just need to sale the monsterGt to buy the engine and servo's.

so, yep, I'm hopefully going to go do some 1/8 racing all that much sooner.

Brandon

congrats on yer new buggy and welcome to the family!

i think you'll be happy with the mugen- i know i am. like I've said on here in the past; when i switched from the k2 to the mbx-5, my lap times went down more than a full second. it could be that my particular driving style is better suited to the mugen...who knows?

anyway- what motor ya got in mind? servos? bump box? just curious.

Flash, I don't know man, you tell me. I'll probably try not to spend more then 150 at the most for the servo's and extra crystal set, and another reciever. ImBroken, gave me a pretty good lead on a couple of hitec servo's that he's had good success with. the 645 and 625 from hitech. I think these may just get me started, until I can afford something hardcore, and then just stick one of these on the rc10gt, and keep another for a spare. I won't buy any plastic geared servo's. Only metal gear stuff.
Let's see, for a starter box, I'll probably go for the ofna silver top box more then likley. Unless someone can recomend something else.

I have no idea on the motor at all. Probably either something used I can get into for a resonable price, to just get my feet wet, or something that isn't to overpriced, once again to get my feet wet, and then to keep either one of em as a back up and buy something nice later down the road.

I'm very open to suggestions on all of it though. The more money I save, the more I'll have for tires, a new body, spare parts to keep around, outfitting my ever growing rc10gt tool box, or just my rc tool box in general. If you catch my drift. Since I'm just in the infancy stages, I'm still kinda overwhelmed with things that I kinda need to make the hobby go smoother. So, well, you get the picture.

Hit me with some suggestions.

Brandon

Well, if you want to save a little cash go with XTM 24.7 mill. It is only $130 and it has insane low end power. High end is good but torque with this engine is amazing. You could also go with the pro version for 180, but I don't how big a difference there is.

Keep in mind if you are going to be racing, which i think you are, then this engine is not legal. You could also try the XTM .21 engine, if it is anything like the 24.7 it should be a great mill for you.

Other more pricey options are mills from RB, Picco, and others.

Back