Another newbie with a question, Thanks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagmanindy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have had my savage x 4.1 for a few months now and have had to replace the rear differential 2 times already, obviously didn't do it right! I have read up on shimming and even tried it on my last one. Should I get one from a savage xl off of e-bay or what? Please go easy on me!! FIRST POST.

What was the problem with the diff that caused you to replace it?

Was it the same problem both times?

What was the problem with the diff that caused you to replace it?

Was it the same problem both times?

First time I got the back tires caught in a bush, so I gassed it thinking it would pull itself out, it didn't. the second time, I was just running it up and down the street and it started locking up like I was hitting the brakes or something. After getting into it, I noticed the rear dog bone to the diff from the transmission was binding up in the cups, I am not sure if it did that from the differential locking up or if that is what caused the differential to lock up. But it forced a grove in the cup. I pulled it all apart and there is was a hole in the differential and a piece of one of the spider gears outside of the differential housing. I had the 4 gear setup but with a plastic housing.

buy the SS diff assembly and drop it in.

buy the SS diff assembly and drop it in.

That's what I was about to do, just wanted to get someone's experienced opinion, thanks. looks like I can get one for around $30.00
Anyone had a good experience with someone specific on e-bay??

30 bux is a good price.

The outer cups on the xl are a little larger but will work fine with the savage x.

Nitronutz on Ebay, you can get the whole diff/bulkhead assy. cheap. Dealt with him for years.A+guy
Unless you plan on ordering all the XL drivetrain parts, just stick with the standard 4.6 diffs.

Had the exact same problem with mine when I first got it. I went through two diffs just from bashing and such. The plastic is garbage so I went with purple alum. diffs and have NEVER had a problem since that was about 8 gallons ago.

Back