Aluminum Diff cases, not cups - SAVAGE

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Anyone know who else beside GPM makes aluminum diff housings for the savage? They are all I can find, but I believe their stuff is cast and not billet.

I'm talking about these: http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=22676

I'm tired of replacing pinion/ring gears. With the stock cases, there's nothing to shim. There isn't any slop, but the pinion and ring gears don't run tight enough for my taste. Even with brand new parts, there's a lot of slop between the ring/pinion and there's nowhere a shim will fit without causing binding on the diff bearings themselves. I've read a few threads on shimming the diffs properly and they all were done with aluminum diff housings.

If it's anything like the t-maxx, the after market al housings have slop that allow you to shim. Unlike stock plastic cases.

Thanks.

Megatec also makes them, but I never found them in silver.. and yes all of these from any manufacutre will be cast and then final machined.. It would be VERY difficult to mill these... So I went with the GPM ones and yes they are cast but they fit together well and I feel that the $53 (for front and rear) was well worth it.. I have yet to wear out a ring and pinion since.. With the power of the novarossi I was blowing up ring/pinion gears after just a few tanks.. It was that bad.. Now I have put a half a gallon on these alloy gearboxs without any problems what so ever.. I did go all the way and installed alloy diff cups while I was down there so I should have no flex at all..

Oh crap, my mistake. I didn't read your post right. I was just at fullforcerc the other day and happen to see the cups, and that's what popped into my head when I read your post. Sorry 'bout that...

Yeah 21, I found those too. Their in Hong Kong. A lot of sites over that way sell GPM stuff which makes me think they are GPM.

I just bought one diff case off a guy at another forum for $20. It's a dynamite one. I don't think they make them anymore though. I don't care, it's $20 shipped! I'll buy a GPM one off ebay for the other end for $30 shipped. I'm not really partial to brand, but I just didn't feel like spending $45 or so for GPM shipped since it's cast instead of milled.

Yes olds Ebay... 90% of my trucks are built off ebay... I build the rest... a kit just doesn't work for me...

I figured as much. I don't have the talent, ability or tools you do, so kits or RTR's are about my only option. Unless I buy all aftermarket.

Olds........ How many gears have you been through?

I could only figure that this problem would happen in the rear of the savage because of the weakness of the the motor mount plate and stock braces. (Which means torsional flexing which can eat away at gears.)

Doesn't maximizer make diff housings for the savage? Or is that only for the crap-maxx?

cvec7 said:
Doesn't maximizer make diff housings for the savage? Or is that only for the crap-maxx?

He isnt talking about diff cups... There are many people who make those for the savage... He wants the aluminum Gearbox.

1 Bad STi said:
Olds........ How many gears have you been through?

I could only figure that this problem would happen in the rear of the savage because of the weakness of the the motor mount plate and stock braces. (Which means torsional flexing which can eat away at gears.)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been through about 6 sets over the course of 12 gallons. You know I'm not running a hefty engine, just the OS 21 RG. I think it's more to do with the lack of ability to shim the pinion/ring gears properly with the stock cases.

The grinding you heard last weekend was a missing tooth on one of the spider gears.

cvec7 said:

Just bought that exact one off a guy for $20 shipped... when I get the $, I'll buy another as he only has the one.

I'm not really having a problem with the gears inside the diff cup (spider gears). I'll have the occasional one loose a tooth or the screws would back out on me. I now use 20mm machine screws and haven't run into that problem since.

Back