Aluminum Chassis upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacRacing

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am finishing up an all aluminum tmaxx for a friend. I am not sure where the chassis came from (i thought it was integy, but I am not sure).

The holes where you mount the engine are way too big for the standard screws, and when I used washers, they buckled. What am I supposed to use to mount the engine??

thanks,
adrian

is it a .21 conversion?
What mill?

Might need a different type of Engine mount.....

No, it is a standard chassis. I am putting the picco .21 maxx on it though. (he bought it.. it looks pretty sweet!!)

Do you have a photo of it? It might help us figure out what it is so we can research and figure out what you need.

the Picco should have it's own motor mount and hardware w/ it, and that should bolt right up to the chassis no prob......can you snap a pic???

From what i understand, the holes in the chassis are too wide for the screws, and the bolt heads just go through instead of clamping down to the chassis. Those cone shaped washers would solve the problem. If you could snap a pic, it would help a lot.

yeah I'm leaning that way too, it's tough for new guys to describe things they aren't fluent in yet....I guess the washers center the screw? if not that will be a bitch to set gear mesh on.....he's gonna have 4 way adjustment...

Are you comfortable with re-tapping holes?

I'd go with 3mm holes as opposed to the stock 2.5s.

bustedgears said:
Are you comfortable with re-tapping holes?

I'd go with 3mm holes as opposed to the stock 2.5s.

I would not be comfortable re-tapping the holes.
I will try to take a picture tonight for you all. Plus, I can ask the guy I am building it for if he know exactly where he got it.

Thanks,
adrian

ps.. you are right.. if I use those washers.. the screws will be adjustable 4 ways.

And I don't think the engine came with any mounting hardware. It is designed to be a direct bolt-on for the tmaxx.

my friend just emailed me back and he said that it is a RC Raven chassis.

It must be this one:
chassisbrushedoff

http://www.rcraveninc.com/product/TMCHBR

Nope, it is not that one. i emailed rc raven about it, and they said that their old version of the tmaxx chassis had a motor mount plate and big mounting holes. I think it is the older rc raven.. without the plate.

adrian

the picco is a direct drop in but it should have it's own motor mount....I think I know what you got....RC raven sold a ton of blemished Chassis, I saw one the guy bought and was incomplete...he ended up welding a new engine plate to it.....and just drilling the holes the size and position he needed.....see if you can get the mounting plate or you're screwed.....the plate will eliminate thee 2 way adj so it's not such aPITA to set up.....the washers won't be large enough I don't think to take up the sllop if this is what I think it is.....

TacRacing said:
Nope, it is not that one. i emailed rc raven about it, and they said that their old version of the tmaxx chassis had a motor mount plate and big mounting holes. I think it is the older rc raven.. without the plate.

adrian

Oh... that sucks. Did you ask them if you could get a replacement adapter plate?

Apparently, RC RAven doesn't make that chassis anymore.. and they don't have any replacments for it. Or the motor plates.

So now we are stuck.

He called them (or emailed them..) and they told him that for 20 bucks he could exchange it, but he would have to ship the original back.

I know that might sound good to some of you.. but I think it sucks. I am thinking about just using the stock chassis. I should bend up/cut up the raven one and then ship it back to them. Then they can't pawn it off on someone else.

Back