Aluminum chassis braces and bulks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rak12

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK I've already got aluminum chassis braces and bulkheads on my rig but am concerned that the braces dont actually bolt into the bulkheads. The only conection between them is/are the skid plates. I also have RPM 3 piece skids but their still plastic, which allows flexing. I'm reluctant to install aluminum skids because skids do take a beating, but it would improve the chassis stiffness on the underside. Has anyone come up with a solution to this dilemma? :\

i have heard abunch of people say aluminum down the middle and rpm on the four corners... I am grabbing a few rpm skid setups to try out because I hear nothing but good from everyone..

Personally, I didn't like the RPM skid protectors. On a nose heavy landing, they dig into teh ground like a shovel and rip the screws either through the protector or snap them off in the bulks.

I always ran RC Solutions spring steel skids, combined with alloy bulks, alloy bulk braces, alloy center skid, alloy chassis rails, RPM arms, RPM towers. GH makes some nice aluminum parts. I'd go with them if I was searching for alloy again.

Last edited:
I have rpm on all 4 corners with ali skids and stickin with em . I've had some pretty harsh landinds and i think if i had rpm or stock they would be in pieces . And for when I'm trying out some big jumps with harsh landings i put the stock skids over the top of my alu one's till I've got it right then take em off and trust me they don't look pretty lol .

I have an almost all aluminum setup on my Emaxx and tough as nails I got a parts rig that had everything on it and what wasn't on it was in a box... yes it is all integy but at this point and time it was all free when I sold the secound maxx (I wanted to keap but oldladies orders) l.o.l and havent had a problem with it

Personally, I didn't like the RPM skid protectors. On a nose heavy landing, they dig into teh ground like a shovel and rip the screws either through the protector or snap them off in the bulks.

I always ran RC Solutions spring still skids, combined with alloy bulks, alloy bulk braces, alloy center skid, alloy chassis rails, RPM arms, RPM towers. GH makes some nice aluminum parts. I'd go with them if I was searching for alloy again.

Yeah, I have had the same problem with the front RPM skid digging into the ground like a shovel. I would go with aluminum skid on the front and leave the RPM skid cover in the center and the rear.

+3 on the shovel effect. I leave it because I've yet to destroy a stock skid with RPMs installed.

Also how much flex do you really get at the lower connection point between skid and brase? I'm sure its not much.

I've had the shovel effect happen, so I try to go faster so as to just plow through it, kinda more fun too with dirt spraying everywhere... lol

And Dubc, you're right there probably isnt much flex at the lower connection between braces and bulkheads but I'm a little OCD at times and may sleep better knowing I had continous metal (aka aluminum) from front to back.

Has anyone used aluminum skids in conjunction with RPM skids?

I've had the shovel effect happen, so I try to go faster so as to just plow through it, kinda more fun too with dirt spraying everywhere... lol

And Dubc, you're right there probably isnt much flex at the lower connection between braces and bulkheads but I'm a little OCD at times and may sleep better knowing I had continous metal (aka aluminum) from front to back.

Has anyone used aluminum skids in conjunction with RPM skids?

Yeah, I am kinda the same way with the ocd, i think that I might go aluminum skids front and rear so that I can sleep better too. Although, I dont think that there is much flex between the braces and bulks either.

Back