Alum. A-arms..good or bad??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boody1981

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Notice my upper and lower A-arms have been breaking at the pin and popping out, for awhile I just fitted it back together and put the pin back in, but upon further inspection I noticed they were actually cracked and just pulling through the pin. Ok fair, I have lots of extra A-arms.
Now you guys out there with the alum. ones, obviously they are strong but what is breaking in thier place?? you strengthen one part and weaken another, my question is what part will now break instead of the A-arms???shock towers??

Let me know I am thinking about doing this upgrade, but don't want to just move the problem somewhere else.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo Aluminium

Go Rpm...

Notice my upper and lower A-arms have been breaking at the pin and popping out, for awhile I just fitted it back together and put the pin back in, but upon further inspection I noticed they were actually cracked and just pulling through the pin. Ok fair, I have lots of extra A-arms.
Now you guys out there with the alum. ones, obviously they are strong but what is breaking in thier place?? you strengthen one part and weaken another, my question is what part will now break instead of the A-arms???shock towers??

Let me know I am thinking about doing this upgrade, but don't want to just move the problem somewhere else.

Honestly I would say forget aluminum (For certain areas) and never look back!

Go for a set of RPM A-arms. I have them on my revo and love them!

From reading around here I have come to the conclusion that if its exposed(out in the open where it can be hit) I shouldn't be aluminum.

Now once again this is just from what I've been reading, and I'm not sure if aluminum is a good option in certain areas but A-Arms aren't a good idea.

EDIT: Didn't see Nicholas had already posted.. Ah well.. 2 for RPM

On a savage? I ran the same set of arms for about 13 gallons of abuse over 2 years time and never damaged an arm. All that happened was that the hinge pin holes got a bit sloppy. I replaced them shortly before I sold the truck to a guy.

Is the the old savage or savage X?

No to the aluminum a-arms. First off when you hit something they will bend or break the bulkhead, or both. I have been running my Savage SS for over 5 years and never broke an arm.

awesome guys, thanks a lot. I know plastic has a lot of give, and that is always good. I have had awesome luck with them too, but uppers and one lower broke open at the inner hinge?? maybe its from the multi flipping and cart-wheeling? ya that'll likely do it.

Thanks again boys!!
RPM quite a bit stronger or what??

alot stronger than stock and i think they have a lifetime break garuantee, so its worth it sooner or lateer, upgrade as they break or bu ythem all at once and use the stock for replacements if ever one of them actually break.

Don't be tempted by aluminum arms...you will be so pissed when you bend one...and they are heavier than plastic.

Plastic is underated...it is light weight, flexible and inexpensive!

RPM is the absolute best choice for strength : weight. In many years of bashing the living hell out of Maxxs, Savages and Revos my peps and I have only broken 2 RPM arms...cracked only! Way cool!

Back