Alpha S852 Engine problems.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasir

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi i started up my brand new Alpha S852 for the second time ( after it had been tuned and run in)

But i keep having this problem:

When i start it up and keep revving it, it works fine but when i let of the throttle it cuts off. I have tried lean and rich and everything but nothing.

Could this be the glow plug? It sparks up ?

I have changed it back to the factory settings ( the guy who tuned it for me ) his settings.

Thanks.

Change the plug. What settings did you reset it to? A quick way to test would be to leave the glow ignitor on it after it starts. If it idles properly, pull off the ignitor. If it dies...it's your plug. the other possibility could just be a low idle. If the plug tests good, bump your idle up a bit.

Great engine choice by the way. I have been racing Alpha engines for nearly 20 months now and love em! My S852 has 8+ gallons on it ;-)

Change the plug. What settings did you reset it to? A quick way to test would be to leave the glow ignitor on it after it starts. If it idles properly, pull off the ignitor. If it dies...it's your plug. the other possibility could just be a low idle. If the plug tests good, bump your idle up a bit.

Great engine choice by the way. I have been racing Alpha engines for nearly 20 months now and love em! My S852 has 8+ gallons on it ;-)

Yea its the same problem when i take the plug out sometimes it stops.

Thankssssssss

I just got a little worried because it was so expensive and new and i have a race this Sunday. But thank god its only a small problem :)

Thanks again.

Just get as much fuel through it as you can. The Alphas take a good 1.5 - 2 gallons to really break in. Do it slowly with some good heat and it will reward ya man. I have 8 or so gallons on my Orange Head on stock bearings and rod.,,,runs great still.

Don't be afraid to lean it out after break in either, these engines like to run HOT. Anywhere between 240 and 280 is typically just fine ;-)

Wow that sounds fantastic thanks for the great tips. ( first race day today with my Alpha engine wish me luck)

Thanks

Good luck man! I love these little Alpha engines personally. They have been good to me thus far....

Good luck man! I love these little Alpha engines personally. They have been good to me thus far....

My race results 1. I came 4rd 2. i came 3rd then number 3.i came 4rd in the finals the one new Marshall took about 1 hour to put my car back up she is new and doesn't know anything about rc lol.. So my engine cut of and got raped by every one on the track so i only made it to the F final.... my engine kept cutting of sometimes and a guy said because i wasn't using the throttle right and flooding the engine.?

Thanks

Your tune is off if it's flaming out. Just give it time to fully break in ;-) To this day my has only flamed maybe 10 times in 8 gallons...and half of those were from dead plugs. hehe

Ok great thanks for the advice is there anything else i need to keep in mind when running these engines?

Not really. If it's the newer version of the Alpha....they fixed the O-Ring issue they had on earlier versions...so that should be fine. Just watch your needles. If they get really loose...the O-rings have gone bad and need to be replaced. That was the only issue I've ever had with mine.....they tune easy and have TONS of power for $200.