almost time to order, ^_^

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mofo

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Alrighty boys and girls, almost time to order everything; so excited! Do you guys mind taking a quick look-aroo at what I plan to purchase and provide some comments, like "moron you need this" or "that looks good." Much appreciated.

I have wd-40 and many tools here at home.

A few other quickies:
How long does a typical full tank (125cc capacity right?) on a stock revo 3.3 last? One quart is a little more than 7 tanks full correct?
The revo package does come with the manual right? Even though I have read most of it in the pdf format I like to have physical things in my hands when getting dirty.

After I get her broken in and used to her I plan to get a roll cage, better intake, the safety stopper thing, and I am sure when I get into it deeper there will be other things.

woo woo

ok here is what I have:

the revo (package)
fuel
fuel bottle
temp gauge

Thanks guys, have a good one.

get rpm products, strong and durable , good for bashing

rpm are good products but there not needed right away.. i would also suggest a few extra glow plugs maybe some loctight for your wheel nuts and some ca glue encase your tires come unglued or get a small cut in them and maybe later get a glow plug ignighter it will make starting your truck much easier! Have fun with your Great new truck!
oh and some after run oil of coarse!

A typical tank can be any were from 8ish-13ish minutes on average, depending on tunning and driving style.

Yes the Revo comes with the manual and even a DVD, watch and read both.

A Motorsavers airfilter is a good one, And by safety stopper I hope you mean a Failsafe, either the Ofna or Dynamite ones are pretty good, that should be the first thing you by.

Good luck, the Revo is a sweet truck. You will have a blast.

Hi Mofo,

I would suggest just getting the gallon of fuel. You will burn through a quart pretty fast!!! Especially when running the richer settings with break in....At least it seemed like that to me...

I also purchased a Center Differential immediately and installed it. In my honest opinion I think it made the Revo easier for me to "learn to drive". I guess I am one of those guys that thinks "wheelies" are over-rated...LOL.

I have the OFNA failsafe and it works great. I second the above post...When you buy the extra Glow plugs, purchase the failsafe...also buy plenty of batteries for your transmitter...I am buying 20 packs these days....or get rechargables....Most of all Good Luck and have fun!!!!!

Hawk

Thanks for your suggestion of RPM, they seem to have a good reputation and I have looked at their stuff several times. Going to wait a little bit on doing the upgrades though, but knowing myself I will be buying them the day after I get my revo.

The suggestion about the motosavers air-filter; there is a walk-thru on this site that actually has that and so that planted that seed. I also have been eyeing a fuel filter as well.

How long do the batteries in the transmitter last? And how about the battery on-board the revo itself? For the differential upgrade, it seems that you have to put in the forward-only conversion (or comes *included*), which I would like to keep my revo's reverse abilities, atleast for now.
Of course fuel, I will be purchasing probably a gallon, but in the quart containers so they are easier to hide/store. My apartment complex does not allow fuel to be stored.

Thanks, any other suggestions/comments?

batterys in the transmitter last 1 gallonish. The rx[reciever]batterys depend on the riving style. I've heard that you can buy 25 or something quarts in a box if you want to do that. I also like quarts they keep fresh fuel in your rc and gallons are so big ,bulkey, and expensive. You will also want to get air filter oil.

Doesn't the revo come with air filter oil? The manual says it comes with air filter oil and an extra air filter.

I guess to save time, how long do most items typically last, for someone who takes care of the equipment and is not out to destroy it? IE: air filter, fuel lines, engine, servos, tires, carb, transmission, etc.
Which items do people tend to replace every tank, every 3-5 tanks, every 10+ tanks? Obviously besides the stuff you break physically :p.

Mofo,

Take another gander at the thread at the top of the page. Yes the revo comes with an air filter...Its great for keeping dirt out but not so good for air flow...Thats why many folks will change it out. I bought one(Motor Saver) but did not perform the mod. I used a couple of zip ties to give my self some clearance for my "rear brake" linkage. But ignore that last statement. Until you get a center diff and rear brake...

Now for your second question:

"I guess to save time, how long do most items typically last, for someone who takes care of the equipment and is not out to destroy it? IE: air filter, fuel lines, engine, servos, tires, carb, transmission, etc."

Myself, I am out to destroy it, but only so I can work on it and fix it...LOL. I take good care of my motor and really don't wind it out constantly, I always perform after run maintainence and tune to outside temps. I do however drive it pretty hard. I don't do 10-20 foot jumps...But I run the heck out of it over all kinds of terrain..From the road, to a parking lot, to some offroad hill climbing...I am pushing it to see "what it can do". Thats why I bought it. The question you are asking depends on too many factors when pertaining to certain components... If you keep your stock air filter...follow the directions in the manual...However, instead of cleaning the foam...replace it with a new one...Many of the guys on here believe that "washing" it will push particles further into the filter no matter how much you clean it....I believe them...and don't want to test their experience.

You honestly need to decide how you are going to run your new model....If you are going to push it...I would suggest having some spare turnbuckles and push rods. The rest of the stuff...I will let somebody with more experience tell you what may break...

From another guy that just got into it...I spent way more money than I needed to...after the purchase. I purchased a brand new 3.3 motor/carb off of ebay for 125 shipped...Not a bad deal...However, I am sorry because I would rather be installing a big block for my next motor...I have a complete spare "tranny" just in case I want to run the "opti-drive" and reverse at some time...but again 1 gallon in tranny is as strong as ever...

I bought chrome differential cups...that none will ever see but me....:mad: . because I did not "know" my car yet..I thought I was going for the bling factor...lesson learned....(in case you are wondering, its an internal part that nobody will ever see). My point, Do not get on the upgrade wagon unless you have the resources and your best bet is to wait until you break it.

Most of the components you listed can be watched and checked after each run...thats the best way to diagnose any problems that may be occuring...Anyway, you are probably asleep by now due to the length of this post....So I will just say...Drive that thing like ya own it and for goodness sakes have fun with it...

Hawk

Last edited:
No no, thank you for you post hawk. I totally understand that most of my questions where variable based on a number of things; was looking for an answer like yours. I am sure I can figure it all out, I personally restored a '72 cb450 and have worked on many other bikes and cars. Just a little *nervous* and trying to get some input before I get it. Excited!
Be purchasing tomorrow or Thursday.

Everyone has pretty much covered all the basses, but I do have one final piece of advice-

Don't buy your tools (any tools you don't already have) from the LHS or A online shop. Hom-Depot or even Wal-Mart will have the exact same thing cheaper.

heh, thanks tweak. Not to worry though as half of my closet is my tool chest.

*edit*
just ordered, should be here in a week, woot!

Last edited:
Back