Almost ready to go, SlayeREVO conversion.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monteman

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Servo issue aside, see my other thread. My SlayeREVO conversion is complete.
Installed my Picco .26Max and BUKU pipe today. Body is all painted and decals are on. New rims and tires from the 5309 Revo are on. Converted to Red-Tubes all around as well as RPM arms out front and the RPM true tracks out back. can't wait to get the servo issue straightened out so i can go break it in. Nerf bars are staying because i was so used to flipping the slayer back over with them, i figure they will make a great carry handle for the Revo :lol:

ae63fb60.jpg

6a872ef4.jpg

fac10b89.jpg

7a694ce1.jpg

7e927ca4.jpg

Wish i could take credit for the paint but i cannot, good friend of mine loves painting RC shells and is working on a couple for this plus one for my MERV.

Looks good!

Just curious, did you try running the slayer or 1/8 buggy wheels/tires with the longer arms? I'm in the process of changing mine over as well, but I want to do it to make it more stable... I'm sure at some point, MT tires will find their way on the rig.

i converted the slayer to 1/8 scale tires right off the bat, i think i shredded a stock tire on the 2nd tank after break in so i just swapped up to 17mm hexes and some aka rims/tires.
Never played with any different arms, everything i added to it to make it handle just didnt make it handle the way i wanted. That said the one time i had it on the track i loved it, but I'm am just a basher. Slayer didn't make a good basher, even with all the extras.

That's a great looking rig. I still love those 3.3 tires. Dirt cheap on fleabay, too. The body looks really nice.

i too have a slayer/revo conversion, just got the rod replaced in my motor but can't wait to race it this weekend............

I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm seriously curious. what is the point it converting a slayer to a revo? isnt a slayer already a revo with smaller arms and tires/wheels? why not just buy a revo and be done with it?

I think it has more to do with the fact that he did it, a sense of accomplishment. I contemplated doing it at one time too

I just wanted a revo again... but liked the thought of the slayer. Smaller tires, shorter arms, less leverage/breakage, quick spool up...

Forgot about the rollover potential. ;) Also didn't realize RPM didn't make arms for it.

Beason no offence taken, i almost bought a Platinum revo last summer, but decided to think about it for a bit. Shop was asking $650 i thought that was a bit much. While i was debating a buddy of mine bought it. Went back to see if they had another and the guys at the shop said the closest thing they had to a Revo was the slayer, they were sold out of Revo's totally at the time.
So i bought the slayer, spent almost all my time last summer adding parts and trying to get it to handle half as good as my buddies Platinum. I rarely hit the track (the one time i did the Slayer was very nice on there with all the extras i had) but that doesn't happen all that often. Decided over the winter to just go ahead and convert to a revo, thought it would be cheaper than going out and buying a Revo... :lol: was i wrong haha.
All in all I'm very happy, granted i havent been able to drive it yet as i just got it together and i still have to install the steering servos and do break in. But I'm sure i will be much happier bashing around with a Revo than i was with the Slayer.
Added up what i have spent so far since i bought the Slayer and i have spent over $2000 on this truck, when you factor all the replacement parts, hop ups, case of fuel, loads of tires, couple bodies... the list goes on haha.

Added up what i have spent so far since i bought the Slayer and i have spent over $2000 on this truck, when you factor all the replacement parts, hop ups, case of fuel, loads of tires, couple bodies... the list goes on haha.

You shouldn't add... I've learned that all that does is makes my hobby depressing... :(

I kept a spreadsheet of all my stuff for quite some time... I quit adding to it when I hit $6K. I recently went back and added the past 4-5 trucks/engines to it. Now it's at $9.5K. On the plus side though, the list is $9.5K retail, but $7.4K is what I spent. Ebay and forums helped that out quite a bit. I started the sheet in 2003.

See? Now I'm sad again... :\

not trying to jack this thread, but in responce to Beason question,
I personally went with the conversion because of wheel base,3.3 motor and cost.
I found someone that had almost completed the conversion pick it up for $200 shipped. Put $45 in to replaceing normal Maintenance(I.E OWB,Clutch kit,glow plug's ECT) so total price $245
a short wheel base revo(older version) came with a 12.7' wheel base but had a 2.5 motor
the newer version's came a 13.7" wheel base and a 3.3 motor.
the slayer is a 12.7" wheel base with 3.3 motor.
I am still a nitro newbie, but thats the info i got from traxxas spec's...I maybe wrong ,but i hope not.
Hope this helps ya understand why i personally went this route

Last edited:
Little more progress tonight, servo is in. Decided to go with the single 645MG for now.
Heres some pics w/o the shell.
ce637e51.jpg

23f7b8ae.jpg

dbeef23a.jpg

Someone mentioned that the BUKU doesn't like the tips so i clipped a good portion of the tips off, if i think I'm not getting the most out of the buku with this short of a tip on there i'll pull them, but for now i just want to keep the gunk off the inside of the shell and if this works it will do just that. :)

789ca28a.jpg

I also dropped the body posts a couple notches tonight to snug it down, had to trim a bit more out from behind the engine with that though cause the Pull start cord was really hanging up under there so i cut it back a bit so that the cord can pop up through the truck bed. Next, i'll probably cut a hole in the windshield. I'll get a Picture as it sits now later.

That truck looks good....i really like the slayer nerf bars on there...it makes it look different then most revo's and i like that

hehe and they are functional too... got so used to flipping the slayer back over with them i couldn't take them off. makes a good carry handle haha

That's a sweet rig. I wonder if those nerf bars would fit a 5309 Revo.

I'm not sure if they would or not they mount over the area that has the longer stretch in the chassis on the 3.3 compared to the 2.5 chassis. But they mount to and around the radio electronics boxes so you never know. Interesting question though.

Back