allen and nut drivers....too expensive? v2.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j0olz

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
okay back to the topic of r/c parts being wayyyyy to expensive. i was loooking through my favorite r/c nitro mag, and i came across team kinwald carbin tech tools. they have the hard anodized bits and carbon fiber handles. can anyone guess how much these things cost? 21.99 for a pillo wball wrench! 85.99 for a set of four! 21.99 for a freakin carb tuning screwdriver!!! can someone please direct me to someone who has good wrenches at a reasonable price!!:(:cross: i dont wanna pay too much and i dont care how they look i just need functionality.:spam <---had to do that

Goto Sears and get Craftsman, I've used most of my life, and even though you break a socket wrench here and there, they are camparitively the best value. Sure anyone can say that Snap-on, or Mack are stronger. But has anyone here try to replace a broken one? I have, you basicly have to chase around a truck.
Sears stores don't have wheels. As far as all the other stuff that is "hobby specific", as far as I'm concerned, there isn't enough history to back claims of quality.

;)

Like M@xximillion said SEARS the best place to get your tools at a good price.

o0o0o0o i like them tools.....thanks lots:cheers:

I have BOTH the Craftsmen set and the OFNA set. Keep in mind, the OFNA's are made even better than the craftsmen, in that they are forged from drill blanks. This is possibly the best grade you are going to get in a driver. Also, you are not going to get the most commonly needed sizes out of the craftsmen set that are needed for RC's. Keep in mind, we are wrenching on RC's.

I have both, i love both, they are both gaurenteed forever and they both have their purposes.

I know the drivers you are talking about with the carbon handles. WHAT A RIPOFF! When I looked at the picture it didnt even look like a single one piece carbon handle. It looked more like a hollow resin handle with a sheet of carbon dropped in it. I could be wrong though.

NO DRIVER is worth that much money :(

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
I have BOTH the Craftsmen set and the OFNA set. Keep in mind, the OFNA's are made even better than the craftsmen, in that they are forged from drill blanks. This is possibly the best grade you are going to get in a driver. Also, you are not going to get the most commonly needed sizes out of the craftsmen set that are needed for RC's. Keep in mind, we are wrenching on RC's.

I have both, i love both, they are both gaurenteed forever and they both have their purposes.

I know the drivers you are talking about with the carbon handles. WHAT A RIPOFF! When I looked at the picture it didnt even look like a single one piece carbon handle. It looked more like a hollow resin handle with a sheet of carbon dropped in it. I could be wrong though.

NO DRIVER is worth that much money :(

The only wrench you won't get from the Crafstman set is the 1.5mm. As far as quality? All craftsman Allen wrenches are made out of forged, Grade 8 hardend cobolt steel, that is a fact. Besides even in the unlikly event that it turns out that the OFNA are better quality, Anyone can gaurentee anything forever. Who's forever is more realistic, Sears? or Ofna. Who has been around longer? Who will most likely be here in 20 years?
Oh yeah, the primary metal used on RC's is Aluminium, forged are great! But not nessesary.:classic:

wow....i love posting on these forums, so much info.b wayyyyyy better than the traxxas forums(even though i dont have one).traxxas forums are so full of n00bies. i think I'm gonna do what christian did. I'm gonna get both. and o yea the team kinwald bcarbind tech tools actually is actually soft plastic WRAPPED in carbin fiber....what a freakin ripoff:angry:

Ummmm, well Sears has closed in this city TWICE already in the past 15 years. Chances are it probably will AGAIN someday. Anyhow, OFNA has been around a long time in the RC industry and they are no 'little fish'. I'm sure they will still be around in 20. Point is, you never know who is going to be around tomorrow.

1.5 and the .050 sizes are probably to most CRUCIAL when it comes to hex drivers. What I mean by crucial is 'quality counts'. I can't tell you the number of times I have removed stripped hex heads from my buddies rides because their driver rounded them out. Amazingly, the OFNA STILL pulled them out. And yes, you can buy just the ONE that you may need from OFNA.

In no way am I knocking Craftsmen. I have literally hundreds of tools made them. However, they DONT have the niche in the hex driver arena. Keep in mind, I use BOTH of them.....

No I dont work for OFNA. I just do A LOT of wrenching on RC's and I can assure you that the best investment you can make in the toolshed is a good set of hex drivers. And so far, OFNA has met ALL of my expectations and then some.

The Fact of the matter is that Craftsamn is not in any way shape or form the best tools in the world. They are excellent for the home user but are not up to par for day in day out use. That is why mechanics spend lots of money myself included back in the day to purchase SNAPON or the other top brands Mac or MAtco are the best in the world.

If you truly want the best ball drivers then get these snap on For the money I paid for some dynamites
I could have gotten these. I used to be a mechanic so I hate using cheap tools This is the set of screwdrivers I bought just for rc Anyway if we are talking about who is gonna be here longest bla bla bla well I don't see that as that big a deal you will get out of the hobby more than likly before on of these companies closes. Also Lastly the thing I don't like about Craftsman is that I don't want T handels and If they have a driver handle on it then they are usually HUGE and thats not cool working in the tight spots on these little rcs. So I suggest buy snapon or buy something related to rc the ofnas or dynamites something to that effect. X

Originally posted by x_789
The Fact of the matter is that Craftsamn is not in any way shape or form the best tools in the world. They are excellent for the home user but are not up to par for day in day out use. That is why mechanics spend lots of money myself included back in the day to purchase SNAPON or the other top brands Mac or MAtco are the best in the world.

If you truly want the best ball drivers then get these snap on For the money I paid for some dynamites
I could have gotten these. I used to be a mechanic so I hate using cheap tools This is the set of screwdrivers I bought just for rc Anyway if we are talking about who is gonna be here longest bla bla bla well I don't see that as that big a deal you will get out of the hobby more than likly before on of these companies closes. Also Lastly the thing I don't like about Craftsman is that I don't want T handels and If they have a driver handle on it then they are usually HUGE and thats not cool working in the tight spots on these little rcs. So I suggest buy snapon or buy something related to rc the ofnas or dynamites something to that effect. X
Craftsman for the home user LOL! Dude you might know more about RC's then I ever will, but from you statements it's obvious you don't know tools, before I got into this hobby, my main hobby was my other cars, REAL ones. I have broken all brands of tools, Craftsman are the easiest to replace period. As far as quantity of tools! I have thousands of $ in tools. Here is a pic of my daily driver.

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 175
I use craftsman tools everyday and i am a mechanic i have some snap on and some mac but only the really odd ball stuff .. but I'm sorry the quailty of snap on and mac is the same as craftsman I've broke them all and for the price craftsman all the way .. plus try to exchange you broken tools on a sunday from mac or snap on or find a local dealer anytime of the day

Rob

Originally posted by Rob D
I use craftsman tools everyday and i am a mechanic i have some snap on and some mac but only the really odd ball stuff .. but I'm sorry the quailty of snap on and mac is the same as craftsman I've broke them all and for the price craftsman all the way .. plus try to exchange you broken tools on a sunday from mac or snap on or find a local dealer anytime of the day

Rob

Exactly my point. I pulled the hamonic balancer off my stang with a Snap-on socket and breaker bar, sure enough, popped the socket. Not saying I wouldn't have popped a Craftsman, because I have, but when I do, a quick trip to sears fixes that. An let me tell ya, that was about six months ago and I still have the broken socket, not because Snap-on wouldn't take care of it, but because I keep on forgeting to keep an eye out for the truck..
Availability + cost = best deal.

Originally posted by M@xximillion

Exactly my point. I pulled the hamonic balancer off my stang with a Snap-on socket and breaker bar, sure enough, popped the socket. Not saying I wouldn't have popped a Craftsman, because I have, but when I do, a quick trip to sears fixes that. An let me tell ya, that was about six months ago and I still have the broken socket, not because Snap-on wouldn't take care of it, but because I keep on forgeting to keep an eye out for the truck..
Availability + cost = best deal.
Well you have your right to your opion but if you think that craftsman tools are made of the same quality of steel that snap on uses you are smoking. Also ratchets for instance man there are only about a thrid as many teeth in a craftsman which means you have to twist that thing around alot further to grab a tooth. Also hold a craftsman socket next to a snap-on socket and you can see the difference in the chroming. Its like saying you're mustang is as good a Porsche 930 Turbo. Sure you got a nice car but it aint no 930 Turbo.
Here is an example of snap-on quality and craftmass home user
Craftsman Hex Socket
00942679000-dv.jpg
does not have hex the same size all the way down the use one size socket and make kex the size to fit it then there is a spring inside socket to hold the hex in socket JUNK these things continually comeoff in the screw.

Snap on
20688.JPG
This is the snap on hex socket each socket is made to fit the exact hex key its not a cut down piece of stock and it also has a set screw to hold the hex key in the socket instead to prevent it from popping out
Lastly my snap-on man is tottaly cool I can go to his house if I have an issues anytime or he will bring it to me if I page him.
X

Look, we beat this dog long enough, my point from the beginning has been this Craftsman are the best DEAL, never did I say they were BETTER. Never did I say they use the same material. Craftsman also sell polished chrome sets. It is great you have such a good relationship with your Snap-on dealer.:D

As far as a 930TT Porsche, for the price, it BETTER be waaaaay faster and handle better8-0 .

I still think you are better off with drill blank hex drivers. I've used almost all of them. I own Craftsmen, Bondhus, HobbiCo and OFNA. I would take a set of OFNA's over any of the others ANY DAY! I have tried, and tried and tried to remove stripped hex heads with the craftsmen hex drivers and they just DONT DO IT! The OFNA's are there for me every time! As well as there for other people at the track who ALWAYS say (while borrowing one) "wish I had a set of these". There is a very good reason for it. These are RC's and the fact is, primo tools made for RC's will work better than tools not made for RC's. And if you EVER buy an rc that uses all standard sizes over metric (like a losi) you will demand nothing but the best. OFNA is not the only manufacturer of drill blank bits, but, they were my first choice and a GREAT one at that.

and for the record - I enjoy seeing everyone arguing about 'whats better' when it comes to RC parts and tools etc.. It beats arguing about anything other than RC's -xmas- After all, ALL off the tools mentioned kick ass!

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
I still think you are better off with drill blank hex drivers. I've used almost all of them. I own Craftsmen, Bondhus, HobbiCo and OFNA. I would take a set of OFNA's over any of the others ANY DAY! I have tried, and tried and tried to remove stripped hex heads with the craftsmen hex drivers and they just DONT DO IT! The OFNA's are there for me every time! As well as there for other people at the track who ALWAYS say (while borrowing one) "wish I had a set of these". There is a very good reason for it. These are RC's and the fact is, primo tools made for RC's will work better than tools not made for RC's. And if you EVER buy an rc that uses all standard sizes over metric (like a losi) you will demand nothing but the best. OFNA is not the only manufacturer of drill blank bits, but, they were my first choice and a GREAT one at that.

and for the record - I enjoy seeing everyone arguing about 'whats better' when it comes to RC parts and tools etc.. It beats arguing about anything other than RC's -xmas- After all, ALL off the tools mentioned kick ass!

Yeah, it's kinda fun as long as no enemies are made, so far no one has really been wrong either, it's all about opinion:cool: