aliexpress sh engine m28-p3 thoughts on this motor?

• Thread starter pelicanprentice
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
hey all, I'm an avid aliexpress shopper and i was looking around and i found some nitro engines on there and they seem to be made by sh. sometimes its hard to match keywords on these websites but i think the most powerful engine i could find was the m28-p3 correct me if I'm wrong. seems pretty decent for $115 cad. I was wondering yall thoughts on it and i had a few questions. I dont really need a new engine but sometimes its fun to just tinker around and doesn't hurt to have a cheap backup if its a decent motor. I am also in canada so its a bit harder to deal with usa shipping prices etc to get motors for a decent price. I would preferably want a .30 or something but idk if that can be found on aliexpress for a similar price.

1. Thoughts on this m28-p3? and is it authentic? with my brief research i think yes because sh seems to be a asian company but i could be wrong
2. how would this motor compare to my stock hpi f4.6? i believe the hpi is made by ofna or axial or something, i can't remember the manufacturer name
3. for the price would this be a decent buy or better to shell out the money for an argus .28?
4. i assume this will fit my savage x that currently has a f4.6?

thank you!!

personally id stick with a good .28, some of the .30 and larger are ok, but most of them just have slightly higher torque with a decrease to the top end revs.
as far as the Sh M28 p3 its a pretty standard engine, can't remember if they are made in japan or taiwan, nothing spectacular but decent mills.
will most likely be pretty similar to the F4.6, which is a Force based engine. (F=Force), ofna also had a few based off force engines as well.
axial was based off the "K" series of HPI, or "kingstar" engines.
personally id shell out to get the argus .28.
most big blocks, including that one, are pretty much the same as far as what they will fit, there is a SH21 that has a threaded crankshaft though, and the Ofna/Force .26 has weird mounting tabs, and some of the old kyosho have built in mounts, so only usable on certain platforms. but all of those are pretty uncommon, or easy to spot being different.

personally id stick with a good .28, some of the .30 and larger are ok, but most of them just have slightly higher torque with a decrease to the top end revs.
as far as the Sh M28 p3 its a pretty standard engine, can't remember if they are made in japan or taiwan, nothing spectacular but decent mills.
will most likely be pretty similar to the F4.6, which is a Force based engine. (F=Force), ofna also had a few based off force engines as well.
axial was based off the "K" series of HPI, or "kingstar" engines.
personally id shell out to get the argus .28.
most big blocks, including that one, are pretty much the same as far as what they will fit, there is a SH21 that has a threaded crankshaft though, and the Ofna/Force .26 has weird mounting tabs, and some of the old kyosho have built in mounts, so only usable on certain platforms. but all of those are pretty uncommon, or easy to spot being different.
thanks so much for the reply! I'm in canada so the argus 28 preorder will probably run me around $200 cad with ship which is about a 80$ cad difference, at that price diff do u still think the argus is better?

i also wanted to add that i found a fc .28 engine lightly used for only 80 cad, seems like a great deal for a backup but i assume the fc means force meaning its gonna be the exact same as my hpi f4.6 engine?
hoping for atleast some difference in either performance tq or revs etc so not sure how i feel about that, what yall think?

thanks so much for the reply! I'm in canada so the argus 28 preorder will probably run me around $200 cad with ship which is about a 80$ cad difference, at that price diff do u still think the argus is better?
that is definitely a difficult decision, i havent personally owned one of the Argus yet, i have seen RW mods unboxing and review videos and i really trust his judgement regarding engines, and he spoke well of them.
the SH is going to be a good mill, nothing special about it, but not bad, more or less up to you for what you want out of it.
yeah FC is goign to mean force, goign to be really similar if not identical to your existing F4.6.
i really wont recommend a used nitro engine though, you have no idea how well it was broken in, if it was overheated, how much longer it is going to last, might last gallons and gallons, might have already been worn out and wotn even make it a tank before flaming out, how much slop in the Con rod, bearing condition, etc. in the end it can easily cost more than just buying new.

i have a F4.6 and honestly very happy with it on my LST, and i can't really say that the SH will be an upgrade over it being a 3port.
if you were to find maybe a Dynamite Big red, or a SH28-p8 or p6 would get a bit more top end than the F4.6.

that is definitely a difficult decision, i havent personally owned one of the Argus yet, i have seen RW mods unboxing and review videos and i really trust his judgement regarding engines, and he spoke well of them.
the SH is going to be a good mill, nothing special about it, but not bad, more or less up to you for what you want out of it.
yeah FC is goign to mean force, goign to be really similar if not identical to your existing F4.6.
i really wont recommend a used nitro engine though, you have no idea how well it was broken in, if it was overheated, how much longer it is going to last, might last gallons and gallons, might have already been worn out and wotn even make it a tank before flaming out, how much slop in the Con rod, bearing condition, etc. in the end it can easily cost more than just buying new.

i have a F4.6 and honestly very happy with it on my LST, and i can't really say that the SH will be an upgrade over it being a 3port.
if you were to find maybe a Dynamite Big red, or a SH28-p8 or p6 would get a bit more top end than the F4.6.
thanks so much for the breakdown make sense
i could be wrong but i heard the dynamite is a sh mill too?
or is it that the sh m28 p3 is basically the regular dynamite and something like a 28 p6 or p8 are the dynamite big red/
is that the diff basically?

i like buying from aliexpress and i wish they had the p6 or p8 but seems like the p3 is all they have, might look into the others soon

thanks so much for the breakdown make sense
i could be wrong but i heard the dynamite is a sh mill too?
or is it that the sh m28 p3 is basically the regular dynamite and something like a 28 p6 or p8 are the dynamite big red/
is that the diff basically?

i like buying from aliexpress and i wish they had the p6 or p8 but seems like the p3 is all they have, might look into the others soon
yes that is correct, the dynamite .28 RTR is pretty close equivelant to the P3 i believe, the Big Red i can't remember if its the equivelant to the p6, or the p8, but definitely a powerhouse.
SH is arguably one of the most universally used bases for engines out there, probably with Force right behind it. been in the business for a really long time, and been solid. not the "highest" performance, but not really designed to be top tier, more oriented to be just quality engines on a budget, and they last forever, with good parts support.

Last edited:
Yup, the Dynamite .28 is basically the SH28 p3, the Big Red I believe is a 5 port. The .28 p8 is significantly stronger than the .28 p3 (I have both engines). D3MON is spot on with the overall assessment of SH engines - they are very good bang for the buck, and durable.

thank you! if i got a more powerful engine do you think all the extra power would just end up in wheelies or would i be able to harness the power and apply it to the ground? not sure what I'm thinking rn, prise wise the 28 p3 feels good but i feel its gonna be similar to my f4.6 and i prefer for a change atleast ahah

thank you! if i got a more powerful engine do you think all the extra power would just end up in wheelies or would i be able to harness the power and apply it to the ground? not sure what I'm thinking rn, prise wise the 28 p3 feels good but i feel its gonna be similar to my f4.6 and i prefer for a change atleast ahah

I'm running the SH .28 p8 in a pretty heavy solid axle truck, probably heavier than the Savage (it's 11 or 12 lbs). Harnessing the power is an ongoing battle right now. It was a little more manageable with the p3 version.

as far as how it will put power to the wheels, more power will make it wheelstand more.
if you are wanting it to do that less, you may be able to mess with setup a bit to see if you can make it more manageable, slipper clutch, wheel tire combo, ride hight, etc. the one problem with the savage is that it just has a higher center of gravity, so it will be top heavier, more prone to wheelies and tipping. tipping you can get wider wheel tire combo, lower profile etc, but wheelies, not a lot you can do except to limit the power given to the wheels by way of the slipper.
just throwing this out there, might look into a .25/.26 or similar, they are going to have a bit less torque, but more top end, so going to help on wheelies a bit.
savage does also pretty well even with a strong .21, just like the first rendition of the savage coming with a .21. then went the S25 (.25 engine). i run and really like the .26 block size on my LSTs, and MGT, doesn't have the same torque, but winds up quick and has power up top.

thanks so much for all the help! i am sorry to beat a dead horse but wanted to ask how a lrp z28r spec 3 would compare to the sh 28p3/ my current force .28?

thanks!

LRP are some great engines, some have had issues with the carbs themselves, but some seem to not have any issues.
they are also based off SH, i believe they are based off teh SH28-P8. personally if i had the option to get one id get it asap. it will have more power than the 4.6fc

Back