air compressor alternative

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristar

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi guys have a slight problem i am looking for a cheap alternative to an air compressor to clean my nitro car after a hard days driving, if any one has any ideas on alternatives to use for a compressor without spending lots of money... thanks bri

You can use a can of compressed air to blow off the loose stuff.

If you've got a shop vac, you can put the hose on the exhaust port. Maybe a traditional vac as well?

bike pump and air tank?? pump it up and blow it off. there isnt really a cheep alrenative. even the canned air is spendy

i don't know about over there, but here you can rent tanks of co2 or nitrogen with regulators for just about 10 bux a month. i used to use that all the time and it actually lasted quite a while. just set the reg to 80psi or so and attach your nozzle or whatever to the end just like a compressor.

beason said:
bike pump and air tank?? pump it up and blow it off. there isnt really a cheep alrenative. even the canned air is spendy

Go to your local car part store and get teh 5 gallon tank and a fitting splitter A schraeder valve (typical tube valve), a compression fitting and the small dual end threaded part too....then you need th estandard airhose and gun...Harbor frieght has all this stuff and you can set up a can for around 40 bucks....you can either use a gas station to fill it or a bik pump like beason said.....get a manual valve for behind the schraeder valve...they can leak easily and after you pump it up you can just shut the manual valve so you won't blow th eschraeder valve...

filling up a air tank with a bike pump would take forever. maby one of these could be rigged up with a needle tip instead of a horn. it claimes 70 blasts per fill.

be a good workout...LOL.....that's why I'd just stop at the gas station and use their A/C to fill it up......

In the long run you are better off getting a compressor, it's just one of those must have tools. Fasteddy once said "Once you get one you'll wonder how you got by without one."

Here are a couple inexpensive ones that will be more than adequate for RCs, airbrushing, or around the house chores.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3483A&mfrcode=ALT&mfrpartnumber=835183

Costs $50 and get yourself a air compressor starter kit from homedepot or harbor freight. The starter kit is about $20 and comes with an air hose, air gun, and other misc attachments.

for $100 and a slightly larger tank, starter kit included

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=223844-45003-L14PKL&lpage=none

Last edited:
Ok, maybe a little off the subject, but DO NOT go cheap and get a kit to convert a freon tank to an air tank. Since freon has no water in it, the tank does not have to have a rust proof lining. So, after a while, worse if you live in a humid climate, these freon tanks can explosivly rupture (due to rust) when used with air. just my 2 cents.
Or, you can get a used compressor.

1500valk said:
Ok, maybe a little off the subject, but DO NOT go cheap and get a kit to convert a freon tank to an air tank. Since freon has no water in it, the tank does not have to have a rust proof lining. So, after a while, worse if you live in a humid climate, these freon tanks can explosivly rupture (due to rust) when used with air. just my 2 cents.
Or, you can get a used compressor.

I thought people was supposed to knock those safety plugs out when the freon is all used up?

Anyways, I use compressed air cans a lot but it's because I got a case for free. In the long run it's cheaper to just buy some cheap compressor for 50-100.00 bux.

I got a 180psi cambel hausfield compresser from wal-mart for a air nailer from walmart for $70. It seems to be pretty decent, I've only used it a few times, but no probs yet.

There is no alternative for a air compressor...:2cents:

Use the layaway deal at Wally-World or one of those places.
Buddy of mine got one there for 50 bucks.

I was at Costco yesterday and saw a great compressor for 79.00. Its small and you can even mount it on the wall.

Sometimes on the way home Ill stop off at the gas station and blow my RCs off at the air and water station they have.

Monkey Wrench said:
If you've got a shop vac, you can put the hose on the exhaust port. Maybe a traditional vac as well?
Dude..... you are a genius lol!!!!! I've NEVER thought of that. WOW i feel like such a dumbass lol

All you gotta do is SUCK UP the dirt!!! what a great idea! lol wow:doh:

ZANDOR said:
There is no alternative for a air compressor...:2cents:

That pretty much sums it up.

I got my air compressor for $60. Not bad at all. Came with 25 foot hose and then I bought some attatchments. Dont buy canned air. Thats the reason I switched to a compressor. Canned air is like 2 cans for $15 when 2 cans is like 3 cleanings. Compressor, if it runs out turn it on, wait a minute or 2, and its up again. just my :2cents:

Dude..... you are a genius lol!!!!! I've NEVER thought of that. WOW i feel like such a dumbass lol

All you gotta do is SUCK UP the dirt!!! what a great idea! lol wow

Hmmm, not sure if that's a compliment or a crafty way of calling me a dink! If it's the former, thanks a bunch! Funny how moments of inspiration and Budweiser go together, huh?

I actually tried the shop vac trick, where you put the hose into the exhaust port. It did OK, not the same as a compressor, but it got the bigger bits of crud off! It'll do in a pinch!