acrylic glue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never heard of it - where do you find it?
Just googled it, looks like almost everywhere.

never heard of it - where do you find it?
Just googled it, looks like almost everywhere.
It is used in this hobby a lot to strengthen RC bodies. You lay down a layer of fiberglass mesh drywall tape, then cover it in Shoe Goo. It makes the bodies a lot more durable.

I buy mine from Amazon.

Last edited:
Perfect, I was wondering what I was going to use to repair the inside of this boat - this is in the engine compartment, probably from heat stress.

Attachments

• Boat damage.jpg
    Boat damage.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 33
Not sure shoe goo is what Id use for that especially being right under a nitro engine. Id find something that is permanent and sandable.

Not sure shoe goo is what Id use for that especially being right under a nitro engine. Id find something that is permanent and sandable.
I agree. Some 2 part epoxy would be the best I would think.

Or maybe get some .030" styrene sheet and glue it in with some Acetone if that is an ABS hull.

I agree. Some 2 part epoxy would be the best I would think.

Or maybe get some .030" styrene sheet and glue it in with some Acetone if that is an ABS hull.
I am not certain what ABS is or how'd I'd tell.

Try looking up old specs or kit details online and see if it says anywhere what the hull is made out of. From what I read the other day in that epic boat beginner post that Stoner made it sounded like the vast majority of plastic hulls were ABS but Id have to go back and re-read it to make sure.

If you have some nail polish remover, you can try putting a drop in a small area and see if the plastic softens. If it does, it is ABS. If that is the case, you can get a sheet of styrene from Plastruct or Scenic Scale models, or even an off-brand and glue it in with Acetone. It makes for a nice solid bond.

If you have some nail polish remover, you can try putting a drop in a small area and see if the plastic softens. If it does, it is ABS. If that is the case, you can get a sheet of styrene from Plastruct or Scenic Scale models, or even an off-brand and glue it in with Acetone. It makes for a nice solid bond.
Looks like HobbyTown carries styrene - going there today anyway.

Looks like HobbyTown carries styrene - going there today anyway.
Talk to them about how to use it. Might even take the boat and see what they think. They may have better ideas. There are also some cool vids on YT where people build entire RC bodies out of styrene.

Perfect, I was wondering what I was going to use to repair the inside of this boat - this is in the engine compartment, probably from heat stress.

I use to use 5 minute epoxy's in my boats ,but they come in 15 & 30 min as well to allow
working time!

More than likely ,that is probably what they used to set the stuffing tube with ,epoxy!
Shoe goe was used in boats primarily for glueing servo's in place!

Epoxy's & shoe goo can be bought at wall mart & home depot stores!...:thumbs-up: