A little Revo help needed.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I'm working on a Revo.
I dont know the history on this truck the work order says its sluggish and wont shift. Units sitting for 6 months. Customer aggress to 30 minutes labor up to 20.00 in parts.

So I have 30 minutes of billable time to figure it out.

I first looked it over and its in fairly good shape I can tell its been used hard but somewhat maintained. I replaced the fuel line and the glow plug first thing.

It starts and was running extremely rich so I leaned a bit on both the top and bottom. It stays running idles fine doesn't cut out at all. Its running at about 220-240 depending on how hard I push it.

The issue is that its sluggish on the bottom end till it gets up to spees and still wont shift. I can lean it out a bit more (and I did both top and bottom) but it starts to heat up. I loosened the shift point to the point that it should be shifting yet still doesn't.

Do you thing the truck is stuck in 2nd or think the mill may be on its way out the door?

Any QUICK way to tell?
Again I only have a limited amount id billable hours.

The issue is that its sluggish on the bottom end till it gets up to spees and still wont shift. I can lean it out a bit more (and I did both top and bottom) but it starts to heat up. I loosened the shift point to the point that it should be shifting yet still doesn't.
Richen the LSN a little at a time...Don't play with the HSN..Till Its dialed in on the low end..IMO

I played with the lhs on its own a little, but no good. I may need to re-visit it if the customer wants to spend a few more $$.

Damn HobbyTown latchkey kids. They need to get jobs or spend more time learning about the hobby.

Here fix my truck, moms will give me $30.00. Is it done yet?

based on my and your knowledge of RC's there is absolutely nothing that I can tell you that you don't already know.
that said, how long will it take you to check for air leaks in, on and of the engine and carb...
about the the tranny... I know nothing

FastEddy said:
I played with the lhs on its own a little, but no good.

Did you set the HSN to factory setting (4 turns) before leaning the LSN? If it were mine I would seal the engine and re tune. Is it a 2.5 or 3.3?

I can't believe they took the truck under those conditions, the hobby shops around here all have a one hour minimum.

Last edited:
Ed I'd be willing to bet the shift lever is stuck.

vbgagnon from another post said:
I had that problem before. There is clutch inside your tranny that when you get to a certain rpm it pops out and grabs second gear. You need to do some work in there. I'll get some pics...

Here are the pics.....

Thanks to Glenn Roberson for the pics/instructions...

Here are the pics. This is the shift arm as it would extend to shift into second gear. The tip of this is what gets mushroomed as it extends out and slams into the pin of the higher gear.
Trannyshiftarm.gif

This picture is where RiverRevo bevels the inside edge of the groove that the arm fits down into. This is so that if it does mushroom, it won't get stuck in the groove during a race. Then after a race weekend or before the main you can pull the tranny and file down the tip of the arm if it is mushrooming. Usually seems to happen with high torque motors (tz's) or with the wide ratio gear sets as they seem to shift harder.
Trannybevelmarks.gif

Its a simple thing to do. It takes a few minutes to do but well worth it!

You could also rev it up with the tires off the ground. Then there isn't as much drag. If you rev slowly clear up to WOT, it should hit second off the ground.

If it's been sitting for 6 months, it could be that the kid got the axle bearing wet and they are rusted causing excess drag.

They will have to pony up some more time for me to work on it.
I'm thinking the its stuck in 2nd. Just wanted some collective knowledge to confirm.

As always,
Thanks!

If its the problem taht I suggested it would be stuck in first.

How many turns out from bottom should give me an early shift.
I backed the screw off quite a bit but have no reference point and dont want to go to far.

SOrry I can't help you there, I haven't adjusted in a long while.

I believe the stock setting is two turns out from the bottom, so 3 to 3.5 turns should force it to shift very early in the RPM band, but I'll double check.

Back