A Great Idea that will never be......

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If u look at places where gas IS higher, such as Britian - u will see that most people drive ecomony cars, and use the carpool. it does work.

Yup, sure does, but maybe that's because they drive on the wrong side of the road. :no_commen

Really...no increase in gas prices? You can bring the whole adjusted for inflation arguement out, but up until 911 I was paying just this side of a dollar a gallon. Now I pay almost two dollars a gallon. Yes, it is still cheaper than anywhere in the world, but an increase is an increase no matter what inflation means to it.

And, No. I did not miss your point. I am fully aware of what inflation means and what our current prices mean relative to ten years ago.

Shall we take a tour of the auto industry and why our prices are sooo much cheaper than anywhere in the world? I know you are a smart fellow with a mind towards the conspiracy in most everything. Look into it; I'm sure you'll find that our prices remain low for reasons beyond what they appear.

Regardless, people are buying gas guzzling SUVs more and more. Hybrids exist. Environmentally safe and fuel efficient vehicles exist. They are just not getting the push they need. Perhaps instead of raising a tax, the Bush Administration should just outlaw gasoline burning vehicles. Talk about hitting the OPEC supported countries where it hurts. That is also something that will never happen.

sky - u mention eliminating gas burning vehicles? not a bad idea. we have the technology to make alternative vehicles...but do u think the government, whos pockets are lined with the oil companies and auto manufactures will let that happen???

On the other note - u ask if i know about the details of the auto industry? After my father retired from racing, he ran an auto dealership for 30 years. i started off as a tech, and a service writer working in the auto industry for all 4 years of high school. After the navy and college, i worked another 5 years in the auto industry first as a sales rep, and then as a factory rep. so, yes, i do have some automotive experience.

Actually, I didn't ask if you knew anything about the auto industry. I made a statement to the effect that you are a smart fellow and that a tour of the auto industry wouldn't be necessary. Thanks for reading the entire post numnutz. It is good to know that you have background in an area you are commenting on. So many people do not.

Anyway...I've said my piece. Seeya next time.

Welcome to capitalism NA. Remember, we are an industrialized nation and it will be several years before we see many hybrid automobiles on the roads and many more past that before we see the possible elimination of our dependency on oil so to speak. Big business will not change overnight. I'd vote down a dollar increase on a gallon of gas just to fund something. Sure maybe it would work but we would get a group of politicians that would not want to reduce the tax after seeing the amount of dollars it would create to fund some other pork project on their agenda. I am old enough to remember when a gallon of gas was less than 30 cents. I’ve spent hours after school working at my father station. You want more tax? I have worked for more than 34 years and it makes me sick to think of all of the tax dollars that get wasted on paybacks for campaign contributions. So you propose that I give up a little more of my wealth? I don't think so. Just maybe when you are as old as I you will understand.