'93 Ram 4x4 steering box leak

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalhead Matt

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
We have a '93 extended cab Dodge Ram 4x4 with about 2,000,000 miles on it(290,000 actually). It runs great, but as you could imagine, it's tired and pretty much needs a new drivetrain if I ever wanted to get all of the slop out of it. The other day, it blew a seal on the steering box, right wear the pitman arm bolts on. I was wondering if this seal is replaceable without tearing the box a part. Looking it over yielded no clues, as it is a complete mess of rust and oil. I'm gonna try to hunt down an exploded view of the box, but I figured asking here isn't a bad idea. Most of us rc nuts like to work on our 1:1's as well. Thanks as always.

i would think that you could replace the seal your self with out splitting it. when i rebuilt my forks on my cr450 i made my own seal driver out of pvc pipe that i cut in and made it work. good luck. what engine is in the dodge? i have a 98 and love it.

It has a 360, 5 speed and a 205 t-case. You can tell this truck drug a horse trailer around for many a mile. The tranny and t-case are super sloppy. Surprisingly, the rear end is tight still. May have been replaced. It has the goofy, air actuated 4x4 engagement too.:)

Most of us rc nuts like to work on our 1:1's as well. Thanks as always.

I friggin hate it! but I'm too poor to pay any one else to work on them lol.

If I was you I would look into replacing it with a used one maybe. I've never priced one though. With that many miles who knows if some blew on the inside and caused the seal to let go. Do you have a lkq salvage by you they are decent and you take the parts off yourself.

I found them on fleabay for 90 bucks. That's kinda hard to pass up. Hard telling how worn out the current box is.