3 speed trans shift

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think when my 4.6 goes I'm going to get the ofna .32 haha. if my savage hits 58 on my block now i could only imagine what it will do with the .32

Rolex, do you still need the stock adjustments for the 3 speed?

If so, it varies by the spur/bell combo... I posted a while back on how to adjust the 3 speed by mathematical equation.

Here ya go:

First step is to find out the stock setting for the shift point, which is typically 1 1/2 turns past the top of the set screw being flush with the top of the threads (see page 23 of the Savage X manual).

Once you have your setting to stock, and assuming stock gearing is 15/49, you can then calculate your ratio, and your adjustment.

Start by dividing your spur that you're running now by the bell, 17/47, which yields a ratio of 2.65.

Next, divide your spur by your clutch bell; 15/49 yields a ratio of 3.27.

Now, here's the magic. Multiply your first ratio (2.65) by the transmissions' current (stock) adjustment (1.5); 3.975.

Now, divide the 3.975 by your new ratio (3.26); you get 1.22, which means you need to loosen your shift screw about 1/4th of a turn.

This little trick also applies to the three-speed transmission upgrade.

It may require tweaking your shift point from there, but that should get your truck shift point in the neighborhood.

Excellent info, HeartBreak.
I've still got the stock CB/spur setup, but I'm sure that will all have to change. I'm leaning towards the Ofna .32.

Rolex, the information on shift adjustment you received is WRONG. The adjustment that is accessible through the case is 2nd to 3rd. 1st to 2nd is the one you have to take the gears off to get at.

Thanks for that. I would have checked it thoroughly when I was ready to do the swap, but thanks for making it less confusing for me. Oddly enough, I had heard both versions of which gear shift is accessible.
The higher 3rd gear will be here on the 11th, and the alloy transmission is now somewhere between Hong Kong and Knoxville. I have no tracking on the trans since their parts always ship through the USPS.

LRP Z28 dude, it's the next motor for me after my F4.6 HPI dies, 3.81HP as aposed to 3.77 for the K5.9 HPI XL motor! i've seen them in ss saage's and they're nuts..

The HPI 5.9 would be the next logical step up, but I haven't exactly heard rave revues on them. If anyone here is running the 5.9 let me know what you think of it, especially if you have upgraded from the 4.6.

While I'm waiting for the alloy trans case to arrive on a slow boat from China, I need some advance info.
The shift adjustment that's accessible through the rubber plug, is that first to second, or second to third?
Does anyone have the turn count of the one that's only accessible when the trans is open? I'd like to know that it gets set in a good shift point before I close it all up again.

What does using an "alloy" trans case bring to your truck, that the original casing does not? Just trying to see if this is a durability/performance upgrade or just bling...

Thanks!

Ummmm, any other questions? :D

Next.jpg

Looking good :D. Can't wait to see more.

So the gear adjustment from the out side is from 1st to 2nd? My savage xl does not have a consistant shift so i'm working on that is there a easy way of doing it? Also for me to get my truck to third i need to take the trans apart to adjust 2nd to third correct?

My alloy case arrived yesterday. It was assembled and installed last night, and it seems it's the 2nd to 3rd that's accessible from the outside. I made a 1/16th turn on the 1st to 2nd shift point just to get a higher speed before hitting second, due to the weight. If that works out good, the next shift can be tweaked for performance from the outside. Because of the weight, an early shift would not be good.

So the gear adjustment from the out side is from 1st to 2nd? My savage xl does not have a consistant shift so i'm working on that is there a easy way of doing it? Also for me to get my truck to third i need to take the trans apart to adjust 2nd to third correct?

the outside adjustment is for 2nd to 3rd. remove the gears to adjust the 1-2

my trans has 3 holes for adjustment, 1 for each gear, adjustable from the outside..

my trans has 3 holes for adjustment, 1 for each gear, adjustable from the outside..

you adjust your 1-2 from the outside? I have the XL 3 speed and i have the 3 holes but my 2nd gear adjustment is covered

weird. all the forums i am reading say the XL only allows a 3rd gear adjustment. can you post a pic of your 2nd gear?

Back