3.3 tranny w/ cvd's in a 2.5R chassis

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94stanggt

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright heres my set up as of now. i have a 2.5r with a 3.3 engine and its mostly stock except RPM arms (front+back) w/ tru-track, RPM shock towers, RPM front and rear bumpers, and ya some better servos. Christmas was good to me. :)

First I am looking at getting a 3.3 tranny off ebay. Is there a difference between the 4908 and the 4909 3.3 tranny? I'm guessing they are both the same, though not too sure. On ebay though it looks like it is mostly 4908's getting parted out.
Also I have my 2.5 clutch bell on my 3.3 engine. Will that work for the new tranny cause the 2.5 spur has 72 teeth while the 3.3 has 52 teeth or do i need to get a new clutch bell with a different pitch and # of teeth to work with the 3.3 tranny?

Second part is that I also want to upgrade my drive shafts to cvd's. I can tell that my 2-3 year old stock shafts are getting stressed and worn out and will die most likely some time soon with the bigger engine so might as well do it all in one go i figure. I want to at least do the center shafts for now but i still want to know what people have used and tested for shafts going from the diffs to the wheels for future reference. (Trying not to go broke while out at school :() What shafts would work and fit with a 3.3 tranny and the stock length of a 2.5r chassis? I have not been able though to find any cvd's that say they work with the 4908 tranny. Am i blind and they do exist or the companies just slow with making aftermarket parts?
Will these work possibly?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140266024422

The only difference in the 4909 and 4908 transmission is the gearing. Other then that the are the same and will fit the same. But you say that you have a 2.5R maxx? Is that true, or do you have a 4910 maxx? If you have the 2.5R maxx with the Grey transmission then your tranny will be fine but then you go and say you upgraded to the lower teeth which makes me think that you have a 4910. If that's so, then all you will need is a 4909 or 4908 tranny and a center set of CVD's for the 4909 maxx. The 4908 maxx has a longer chassis, which is why you don't see CVD's for it yet and wouldn't fit your truck. Traxxas, MIP, and THS are all good brands for CVD's on both center and drive.

These would work fine with a Grey tranny (4909, 4908)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPNK3&P=7

i have the stock Black transmission that came with the truck. the radio and battery box are also Black. my truck when it was stock, looked like this except my cooling head was grey and was round without the machining cutouts. http://www.freewebs.com/rc-nnc/t maxx ligthts 001.jpg minus all the LEDs lol
I asked my brother who had a first generation maxx (the only thing he has left that is stock is the black transmission) and he told me it was the 2.5R but i guess he was wrong and it was just the 2.5

Did the 4910 come with the Black transmission?

and with the # of teeth i meant to ask, will there be a large difference going from the 72 Black tranny (stock) to the 52 tooth Grey tranny? i think i know the answer to that though; something along the lines of 'the gearing inside the Grey tranny will make up for that.'
please correct me if I am wrong with anything

Last edited:
That I am not sure about (the teeth issue) but Someone more knowledgeable will come on soon enough to help you with that. My only thing is I think your pitch on the CB would be different.. And You have a 4910. Just a earlier version of it. And yes, stock with the black tranny.

Also will my current break system work or do i need to upgrade that too to the 3.3 version?

Back