3.3 Slipper clutch/gearbox shaft too short?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frickenjoey

Official RCNT Cyber-Bully
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have an old 2.5 Maxx that I am basicly rebuilding....I got the newest style (4908) FOC 3.3 gearbox with the new style slipper clutch. I got the plate, put on the input shaft. I made sure it was seated properly. Put on the spur gear with clutch pack installed. The crazy spring washers.....then the nut. So here is my problem. When I put the nut on.... the shaft on the gearbox seems to be too short because I have no threads coming out of the nut at all. When I look closer the shaft comes about two full threads from touching the end of the nut. So with it being like that the locking fiber in the nut has no affect. Is this normal on a new style set-up?

Not sure if this is normal, but if it is correct and the only problem is the nut not going on far enough to catch the nylock, put the nut on backwards.

I did think about doing that....and a butt load of lock-tite. The thing I am worried about the most it stripping the gear out or melting it. The only way for me to get Traxxas parts here is to order online. Then I am down for at least a week if I am lucky.

On the FOC tranny there is no spring used on the 4908 spur gear shaft. It basically uses two washers then the nut. the two washers have to go in a certain way to put some pressure on the nut of the spur gear shaft itself. Traxxas website has all the detailed schematics on how this all goes together. If your using everything from the FOC for the 4908 and not the 2.5 it should all cometogether nicley. When looking how everything goes together on the website pay close attention on how the washers go together.

The two washers are cupped....they are spring washers. That is the thing is I got all the 3.3 stuff to go with it and WTF still does not work correctly. Oh well....run it until it breaks!

work in old t-maxx

was that a complete trans from 3.3 in to your put in your truck.
New TRAXXAS T-MAXX 3.3 4908 EDITION
2 Speed Forward ONLY Racing REVO Spec Transmission
please let me know I thinking of trying to do the samething w/a complete trans thanks.chazz:\

Yeah I got the 3.3 4908 Tranny. I had to get the slipper and spur separate. It is about half the weight of the old 2.5 which will help a bit I am sure. For me it was pretty simple. The brake assy is totally diffent though. You will also need a new style front drive shaft to mount the disk. But the input shaft for the slipper seems too short I could have got the one that is just one off. Oh well that is what lock-tite is for I guess.

I just bought the complete 3.3 trans w/slipper clutch,brake,drive shaft's the thing will bolt right in to the 2.5 t-maxx I hope........

Yes it should. However you may have to trim down the front drive shaft a bit to get it to fit.

Back