2wd tmaxx ??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonDutton

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i was wondering how to convert my tmaxx to rear wheel drive so i can make a wheelie monster lol even wanna big block it

take the front drive shaft out

the break disc isd hooked up to the front driveshaft

anyone know how i can do a rear brake conversion

remove the outdrives from the diffs or remove the pins from the wheel hexes, take the pin out of the front driveshaft, theres lots of ways

Last edited:
o ok so is there a actual way to do it like a kit or anything ir mayber the brake setup off a smaxx

its the same thing...the transmission is a single output shaft... brakes wont be as good because there wont be any front brakes

the thing about converting a 4x4 t max to 2wd is the gearing for the diffs arent supposed to be 2 torque, because since there is two it will most likely notwheelie much. it might... but i dont think it will actually change the wheelie capabilities the t maxx already has..

It will help with wheelies, but due to removing the weight of the diff and extra drag the front diff/axles are putting on it. Also makes it more squirrelly to drive on loose stuff, but about the same on grass. Relatively fun way to drive a maxx IMHO. I ran a BB max like that for a while, then downgraded to a 18 and stock chassis for a while. With the big block, I was twisting the rear center axle to bits too frequently. Did just fine with the 18 in it though. Was like having a high COG 2wd ST. That was before the 3.3 came along with better diffs. I was tired of shelling front/rear diffs all the time. With only one... I only had to replace one. lol

The most painless way is to get two new front output shafts for the wheels (part #4953x), take the diff out entirely along with the slider axles. Replace the front axles with the stubs only, then pull the center axle off the trans by removing the pin and buying a yoke (Part #4927X), then you don't have a half shaft flopping around. The yoke and set screw are what hold the brake hex in place. Sure, you could take the center axle apart from the yoke, but you run the risk of busting it. They are cheap enough just to buy new yokes.

With those two parts, you can then decide if you like 2wd or not without risk of busting a yoke trying to take them apart and then have backup in case one wears out. Also, if you decide to go back to 4wd, just put your old parts back on and your good to go. Just make sure to not put the diff in upside down (have done it more than once... I'm a slow learner)

Or, do you have a 3.3 max? Part number for the center yoke is the same, but the wheel axle is two pieces, so you can buy new yokes only (part #5454)and use the axle stubs you have.

Last edited:
I did this with my classic maxx.. I left the diff in the front for now and took out the 2 shafts in the front and, only have the axual stub axles in the front. I am going to be taking the diff out and putting in an empty diff. just for having the support in the front for crashing and stuff. and doing the same idea as olds with the brake setup.. One big thing I found is on the classic you are going to want to drop it closer to the ground so you can have better handling.. I have tride it with the stock shocks and it is real squirrly, Then I bought a set of racing titanium shocks and rpm towers and used the outside holes on the arms.. That thing is so much fun.. in my album it is the one with the escalade top on it.. I have the 3.3 in my classic 2wd and insanes, the thing does dances on the rear wheels It's pretty awsome!!!

Back