21 Engine for a beginner

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicoBanderez

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi folks,
I’m new to RC. I’ve just bought a Losi 8ight 4.0 (was the last one on modelsport) as a present to myself and I’ll be building it over the coming months.
I’m looking to put a Hong Nor Force 21 motor in it but thought I’d take to the forums to get some second opinions.
I’m purchasing from Modelsport as I’ve been super impressed with their customer service and I like to build up relationships with shops like this.
But before I commit to buying a motor I wanted to see what you all think?
I don’t plan to compete .. just run at my folks farm for fun and teach my kids when they are older.
I am budget sensitive.. my goal has been to build up a car for £800.
I think the car I’ve bought is a pretty reasonable machine .. I’m just looking to put a similar standard of bits together. I don’t need the best but I don’t want cheap rubbish.
Thanks folks

i have read good stuff about those Hong Nor engines. i just recently got a complete engine rebuild done on a AE .21R Pro engine from the MGT, have read good reviews on it and am trying to rebuild the truck close to factory equipment as well. OS is probably one of the best engines but their prices are definitely not on the low end. novarossi engines are also very good, and so are LRP. for the most part its all in how you break it on, maintain, and overall take care of it. the better you take care of these engines/cars the better they take care of you, just like 1:1 cars.
especially in the beggining of the engines life, make sure to break it in per manual first and most importantly, and make sure as soon as you turn it off put the piston to bottom dead center, (i like to use either paint or sharpie to mark the flywheel where BDC is. make sure to clean the truck regularly and have your own personal schedule to deep clean the truck (i.e tear down areas and get in all the crevices), check fluids/grease/bearings in diffs, check driveshafts etc. also make sure to get a few extra glow plugs, good idea to swap it out after and or during break in.
It is kind of a commitment when getting an RC but personally i have about as much fun wrenching/tinkering on them as running them.

Also good choice, Team Losi builds great RC's, only issue i have with them is that they used SAE screws/fasteners, wich in itself isnt bad, but the hex head is way too tiny and strips quite often. (may not be the case with yours, i only own an LST 2-ish).

oh and before i forget, welcome to RCT!!!!!

Hi D3mon,
Thanks for the reply. That’s the main reason I’ve bought an RC car is that I have something to tinker with. I like the idea of maintenance and developing my own instructions / procedures.
I’m just looking forward to getting stuck in.

Hi folks,
I’m new to RC. I’ve just bought a Losi 8ight 4.0 (was the last one on modelsport) as a present to myself and I’ll be building it over the coming months.
I’m looking to put a Hong Nor Force 21 motor in it but thought I’d take to the forums to get some second opinions.
I’m purchasing from Modelsport as I’ve been super impressed with their customer service and I like to build up relationships with shops like this.
But before I commit to buying a motor I wanted to see what you all think?
I don’t plan to compete .. just run at my folks farm for fun and teach my kids when they are older.
I am budget sensitive.. my goal has been to build up a car for £800.
I think the car I’ve bought is a pretty reasonable machine .. I’m just looking to put a similar standard of bits together. I don’t need the best but I don’t want cheap rubbish.
Thanks folks
Modelsport Great, hong nor Engine not so great, go for a nova Rossi they powerful and quality engines . Specs on paper is one thing putting that engine to use is quite another.

Modelsport Great, hong nor Engine not so great, go for a nova Rossi they powerful and quality engines . Specs on paper is one thing putting that engine to use is quite another.
hmm seems that its one of those engines that its either hated or loved and i must have only seen the ones with good luck with them.
Thunder Tiger makes good engines and are really well known to be good: https://shop.thundertiger.com/collections/summer-collection
.28 on sale there for around 100$ may not be a bad deal. the .21 are good too, i have the associated version of the .21 in my Monster GT. dynamite .28s are good but i was told by a fellow forum member that the combo pull spin starts are weak. think those are around 100-120$

The hardest engine to tune for me was the OS v-spec 21 it has two mid range needles a real pain in the But .
I had no problems with novarossi they my favourite engines above all others I’ve tried , Picco, ain’t bad but rarely hear of them these days a Picco 28 is a bit of beast .
Didn’t really Like RB engines . I had a hyper 7 port 21 which was Like So so .
If I could I’d take the pull starts off of them and the bits inside and start them on a starter box . Starter box was like £60 and a 12 Vokt battery , it’s a bit of an outlay but considering you’ll go through Flip knows how many pull start cords it’s a fair deal in the long game.

Back