$20 tires on 3D printed wheels, semi weekly updates planned.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJC_GUY

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
So I had 3D printed some wheels and wanted to test them out. What better than to throw a $20 set of Hobbypark tires and foams on them?

I didn't do any finish work on the wheels because although I was pretty sure they would hold up I didn't want to tempt fate by putting a bunch of time into prep and paint so I ran them raw.

1) The tires were super easy to mount on the rims. Literally held it in one hand while threading the screws in with the other.

2) They performed way better than expected. I attached a long video at the bottom. It's the same clips twice, somehow I duplicated the clips at 60% speed the second time and didn't notice until I uploaded it. So the latter part of the video is the same just at 60% speed which makes me look like a smoother driver than I am lol.

3) The other thing is that the balance on the truck is completely off right now because I just moved my battery back and down and my servo forward. Part of the testing was to see where I need to add weight to the front now.

PXL_20221023_174246153.jpg
PXL_20221023_174301584.jpg
PXL_20221023_182704139.jpg
PXL_20221023_182759459.jpg
PXL_20221023_183004431.jpg

Aforementioned long set of clips. Brand new out of the bag tires, 45° and wet out on smooth river rock. It will be interesting to see how they wear and break in. For less than $50 for tires, foams, and wheels I'm not going to complain.

Lots of stress on crawler wheels. They look great but I am curious as to how they hold up.
What material did you use?
Can you share a link or the STL you used?

Lots of stress on crawler wheels. They look great but I am curious as to how they hold up.
What material did you use?
Can you share a link or the STL you used?

Funny enough I went out and put another hour of runtime on the tires and a set of the same wheels with more negative offset this morning. I'm processing a video to upload right now.

It will be a long video of raw footage and full disclosure it has a section where it looks like I drive really smoothly buts it's actually slow motion. Tires and wheels performed well. I'm writing up a description with links and will post it once I get it uploaded.

Printed up a second set of wheels this week with a little more - offset and threw the $20 NOT HYRAXS on them to go do more durability testing on the bumpers and wheels.

Also added 20oz of weight to the truck, 12oz on the frame forward of the front axle and 8oz on the frame behind the rear axle. Brought the total truck up to 10lbs 6oz and this seems to be the perfect weight range for these tires judging from how they flex and grip compared to the last video I posted.

I ran for a bit over an hour today on them again today. Conditions were very similar as far as temperature and humidity in both videos, about 45°F and damp. The truck weight made quite a bit of difference in how the truck performed and it was a positive change. It stayed planted better and moved better, the tires flexing like they should and gripping well on smooth river rock.

To the wheels they are from this user https://www.thingiverse.com/goodsons_hobbies/designs

He has several very nice designs that have printed well for me. I don't think he posts untested files.

I printed them in Overture brand PETG.

.22 layer
100%infill
brim and tree support for best results a speed slow enough to catch the lugnut detail. I printed them an 40mms and it took a while but they are very solid. There was one issue it the 11mm file that the holes on the face side for the screws to thread in to were not deep enough for the recommended m3x8 hardware so I had to drill them a little deeper but it worked out fine. I opted to use all 8 screw positions and if you watch parts of the video you will see where I sideload the tire and wheel hard and it holds up and holds the bead. These are cheap tires and they had no issue holding a bead with these wheels.

And the tires? I mean look at it, that's a $20 set of tires and foams and that's cold and damp river rock and wet leaves. The added weight definitely made a difference in how it grabbed but those tires do great. I can't wait to try a set when the weather warms back up.

The black wheels are when the tires were brand new and the silver wheels are the better offset wheels with the tires after another hour plus run today. They are holding up well so far.

Photos and video.

The video is just a bunch of strung together clips that I record so I can go back and look at how it was moving and concentrate on that. There is a slow motion clip that is a little funny to me with how the truck moves at it's new weight.

Fresh out of the bag before the first video. First thrown together version of my driving lights too.
PXL_20221023_174246153.jpg

After todays run, about 2.5 hours of run time on these tires now. Pinched them a few times and they are still doing well.
PXL_20221029_184901241.jpg
PXL_20221029_184925808.jpg
PXL_20221029_185005728.jpg

This is the offset on the 12mm stl for the wheel.
PXL_20221026_042757011.jpg

This is the 11mm stl. Like I said the holes need to either be adjusted in cad or drilled a little deeper on the 11mm file. Not a big deal either way and they are holding the tire very well.
PXL_20221026_042738279.jpg

Nice sidewall flex.
PXL_20221029_160345124.jpg

And some beauty shots. V2 driving lights. I think the lights and new wheels are going to some paint and maybe something a little different with the light lenses. Although I don't hate them.
PXL_20221029_153931938.jpg
PXL_20221029_153826981.jpg

PXL_20221029_153958689.jpg

And the video. If you want to leave a comment that it's boring feel free, it is. I shoot it so I can watch how the truck performed from a different angle while I have time to look at how it's moving more than where it's going. I'm sharing the clips so anyone interested in anything in it can see some candid film of how the parts performed.

Also, this is about 7 hours of run time smacking these bumpers into stuff like in the video. So happy with how those designs are holding up.

Looks good. Nice rig too.

Back