2 stroke oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irongamer727

RC Newbie
Reaction score
What type of 2 stroke oil is used in these small engines? I have a kyosho gx 12. Would normal good quality Castrol do?

That's a nitro engine, you don't run pre-mix in a nitro engine. You buy pre-mixed nitro fuel at a hobby shop, or online. It's also a small block, so I'd personally run 20% nitro in that engine.

Allright. My engine has been sitting not started for a couple of years. What should I lube the piston and cylinder wall with? Normal 2t oil?

I would use After Run Oil. It’s not expensive, if you have a hobby shop near by they should have it.

Would you go for 25% nitro and 9% oil or 16% nitro and 9% oil? The engine will need a run in and will not be used on a car any time soon. Just want to learn the basics of this and start the engine.

I run 20% Nitro with 12% oil in all my RC’s. Never had a problem. If you can find fuel with 10% Nitro it might be a little cheaper.

3.8 litres 25%nitro and 11% oil. £39 plus shipping. That seem allright?

That should get you going. I pay about $39.00 a gallon at my local hobby shop. I know it seems expensive but a gallon or 3.8 liters lasts a while.

I think the last couple of gallons I picked up were $30-$35 a gallon, byrons 25% race 2500 fuel. I think it runs 11% oil with synthetic/castor blend. Always worked well for me in all my engines, big or small block.

Ordering it and having it shipped costs an additional $30+ due to the weight/hazmat fees. And you either have to pay a lot extra to get individual quarts or buy 4 gallons at a time. Tower has it listed at $129+$32 surcharge currently for 4 gallons. Guessing they add more for shipping when you buy.

EDIT:
Huh, added to my cart and the $32 seems to be all they add on. With tax, $176 for 4 gallons shipped, $44 a gallon. Wish I could remember what it cost to buy the last 2 gallons with tax... it's one of those things I don't look at or think about because it's a necessity and I only have 1 store that carries the kind I want now.

You can look at it this way ,a small block don't burn a whole lot!....:p
Yeah, that's what I thought until I got the LRP30. :)

However, you kind of have to be careful with over stocking as well as nitro fuel does have a shelf life. For me, 4 gallons would last me 3+ years at the rate I burn now. 10 years ago, I'd burn 4 in a year!

When I had a 28 ,it wasn't too bad ,however ,yea even 10 to 12 years ago ,I was running it every day ,but after I stepped
into a couple of 8.0's ,an after them with a 5.9 an on top of that with every thing in between ,fuel did not last long.
My local HS closed down ,so I started ordering it on line ,found a good brand fuel source at a decent price ,but I think
they went up a few more bucks ,an I'm out of fuel now ,spring is around the corner!....:D

I hear that. I had 4 stores that were within an hour of where I live, 1 carried the fuel I liked. Was a 15 minute drive from my work, I'd stop at lunch to pick up fuel. Then that one and another closed and one moved further away, about an hour 15 drive, but now they carry the fuel I like. Well, they did... haven't bought fuel since last year. Still have 1.5 gallons of 3 gallons I think.