2 Speed Any Good?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilBeQuick

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ofna now offers a 2 speed setup for the Hyper 7 series. So far with the single speed the low end and top end are killer.
My question is, is a 2 speed tranny really necessary with an 1/8 buggy? Will you really see enough a difference in take off and top speed to make it a worthwhile upgrade?
Is it a waste of money, and pretty much will all it do is add un-needed weight?

I've been wondering the same thing!

Maybe they break easier or something, I dunno.

Actually since I replaces the center diff it might actually be lighter rather than heavier. I am planning on getting one soon to try it out.

Anyone know the cost of the Hyper 7, 2 speed kit?

I love two speed and they really do help out performance but I hate, I mean hate them on off road. On road cars dont deal with alot of jumping and hard bashing and they make a shift to usually stay in that shift. Off road wil constantly be shifting back and fourth because of the in air jumps and then landing and having to shift down. Landing hard can also make the two speed mess up and cause you to strip gears all the time like my cousin's savage does. If I had to have a two speed on my off road I would want it inclosed like a Savage.

Have a link?

If you are just going to bash I would say go for it. But if I remember correctly someone said its against the rules for off road racing. Just an FYI.

Originally posted by mcvickj
Have a link?

If you are just going to bash I would say go for it. But if I remember correctly someone said its against the rules for off road racing. Just an FYI.

Hyper 7 - 2 Speed
So you cannot race with a the 2 speed??

The link worked for me. It went to Ofna's site where you can look at the 2 speed.

I get the same Network Solutions page. I think maybe ofna.com might have expired on them before they paid for renewal.

It happens. Should work again soon.

For those who may have been interested, I did some reading on the net and it seems the price of the 2 Speed Kit is around $180.

Anyone know if there's a 2 speed kit available for the Storm? The one you're talking about is for the Hyper only I'm guessing.

Not that I wanna jump into that right now or anything but I'm always looking for stuff to add to my wish list =)

i think you might be able to find it for less than $180. one thing you'll have to bear in mind is that w/ 2 speed, the center won't diff. it'll handle different. not necessarily a bad thing, but you'll have to get used to it.

Dude I have it already and it`s werth every penny there is a big big diff and you can do cookies better lol. In a drag race we both had the same cars and I won because of the 2 speed I won by 3 seconds and we had the same gearing same engine.

If your running on road then it is a good idea but off-road it sucks. I think you should just stay with one gear if you run off-road but if you just run onroad go for it.....Nick