2.5 + close ratio trans with 16/38 bell/spur gear question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausher

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Think first gear be too high and lack too much power at take off with 1 tooth bigger on the clutch bell? Will it maintain close to the same top speed as 15/38 and standard ratio trans? Or maybe a lil faster?

The close ratio will shave off some top speed. The 16/38 is a 2.37:1 ratio and the stock 15/38 is a 2.53:1. If you went with a 16/38 or 15/36 you'd probably get most of your speed back, but I think the close ratio will slow you down. I would suggest getting a 36t spur instead of the 16t bell though, since spurs are so cheap. The 15/36 is only a wee bit lower at 2.4:1 vs 2.37:1 with a 16/38.

I was thinking of going with a 36 spur, but I don't think I can adjust the motor mount further to get a good mesh. Bigger bell and I can adjust it out the other way. This is temporary with the 2.5 until I get an os .21tm and I'll try other combinations like 16/36 17/36 17/38 ect...

Don't you already have a 15 tooth bell? If you do have a 15 tooth bell it should work or else something's bent or broken.

Yes I.have a 15 tooth bell with a 38 tooth spur. its adjusted all the way up so with a smaller spur I wouldn't be able to adjust it any more. I can move the motor down, but not up. Nothing is bent or broken. So only way I can gear it higher is with a bigger bell. Unless I put a bigger spur, but that would gear it lower.

That sucks, I can get a 15/36 to work on my revos no problem. You must have something bent or broken.

I'll try a 36 spur. I may be able to pivot it up maybe another 1/8" if that's all it needs.

It should work fine, and it doesn't have to go very far. You do what you want though I'm just telling you what I know. I hate having to spring for a cb when a cheap spur will do the trick.

I'll go with the spur first eventually I'll have multiple clutch bells and spur gears for a variety of ratios.

Back