1st plane, what do i need?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVO-5309

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so I'm interested in getting into flying. i was looking for a cheap plane, decent in size and from what i can understand i need to buy most of it separately if i want it cheap. I'm thinking under $100 preferably $80 if possible. already have a lipo charger just need the rest.

this is the kinda plane that takes my fancy. open for suggestions

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Cub_with_Servos_ARF_Blue_AUS_Warehouse_.html

i dont exactly know what i need or what I'm looking for. i dont know sizes and measurements etc for planes.

i dont know what type of radio gear i need. i dont think the traxxas controller will work from my 1/16 merv so thats out of the question.

what esc should i be looking for? i noticed on HK website there are a lot. all around the 5-15$ mark, but not sure if thats what i need.

any help is much appreciated. thanks.

You don't want a tail dragger for your first plane. If you make a mistake during take off or landing you'll go on your nose, bust the prop and most likely damage the motor shaft.
You want tricycle gear. Nose wheel and 2 rear wheels.

I understand flight pretty well so I'm keen to jump straight into it. Dads a pilot after all. I just remembered he has an old am/fm controller from his old planes.

I understand flight pretty well so I'm keen to jump straight into it. Dads a pilot after all. I just remembered he has an old am/fm controller from his old planes.

Understanding the principles of flight, and being related to a pilot have nothing to do with anything when it comes to RC flight. I fly with a guy that flies helicopters for a living, almost every day, and owns his own heli. He can't fly an RC heli for crap. :hehe:

The cub is a nice forgiving aircraft, just remember as Rolex stated, you want to touch down without nosing over when landing. Unless it's a parkzone EPO foam cub (which I would recommend wholeheartedly), then you just don't worry about it as it will keep coming back for more.

Mmmk. And yeh iv don't some classes in the physics and principles of flight and I know exactly how it all works. Iv never actually flown a rc plane but after running about with cars I don't see it being much of a learning curve.

There is a new plane out now by eflite called the apprentice. It comes rtf including a dx5i radio and batteries. I've flown it on the simulator and its the easiest plane to learn to fly that I've tried. Its very stable and easily maneuverable. Self correcting gyro and easy to land as well.

I'm new as well. i started with a stratos firebird double prop tricyle
nice plane then bought mini cub tail dragger. replaced nose prop and
shaft 3 times. it does come with anti-crash tech. nice feature sitll crashed.
whatever you buy get extra props and packing tape.

We're in the same boat. I actually spent a little coin but I think it will be worth it. I picked up a DX8 raidio and a 1200mm T-28 with crash proofing and a camera from killer planes. Can't wait to get it.

Back