1st gen reverse trans debate

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake383

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i tore down trans reverse gear shredded I've read all your post to go with just forward conv. but where i run truck in backwoods nc. reverse would be nice also just had leg surg. dont wanna chase could use advise.

I'm not sure how to do it or where i read it but i know you can modify the forward reverse clutches so that you have positive engagement, and no more jerky starts. only downside is you can shift into reverse while its moving even at speed which could cause all sorts of problems. if you are set on keeping reverse this is something to consider. try searching the net I'm sure youll be able to find it. come to think of it I'm pretty sure i read about it on the traxxas forums.

A lot of guys here go with forward only to increase performance, personally I dont see a need for less drag because I don't race mine. I prefer having reverse for the same reasons. If you dont want to chase after it then I'd go for fixing it or avoid hitting things.

I've been on RCNT for awhile and never heard anything positive said about reverse, most shoot for forward only, besides, its good excercise! :hehe:

not being mean here but the only way to have a tough truck with forward and reverse is to go electric. the tmaxx tranny is as strong as it can be without reverse. as already said dont hit anything or be ready to walk:)

I'd suggest replacing the primary output gears with RRP steel. Then you can have F/R without worrying about breakage.

I think you need RRP #'s: 8521, 8529

thanks for all your guys imput I'm going to by reverse set and forward only set andfix rev. 1 time if it craps ill put for. in it, yall have good advise

thanks i found some steel gears and a trick slipper clutch from robinson racing ill try that first I'm not very good with my radio yet to lock trans id explode it lol thanks for link and advise, b good man

well rev. finally stripped, should have listened, ill put my forward only in now

I put about 4 gallons of fuel through my Tmaxx a few years back, and drove it hard. I never had a problem with reverse.

I put about 4 gallons of fuel through my Tmaxx a few years back, and drove it hard. I never had a problem with reverse.

I've never had problems with my tmaxx or revo

yes, primary drive gears 4995 towards front rounded off, but have robinson forward only set I'm going to put in, just ordered robinson first and second steel set, and a complete 4910 33 piece ceramic bearing set, i am hoping no more issues with trans, the only thing left to buy is alloy cases, and i think thats just for looks.

I have had good luck considering what i do to my trucks. I rarely use the reverse except those once in a while instantses that i can't go forward. The more you shift it the quicker something will go.. I have the classic tmaxx with the 2.5 and the the 3.3 tmaxx and i have reverse in both of them the harder you drive them the more wear they get but, I did notice when i used aluminum wheels and put on my steel drive shafts i started breaking stuff quicker. the more weight seems to put ALOT of extra stress. And I dont understand y they dont make the reverse gears in metal yet.. Not everyone can be so lucky to never ever need reverse and 1/8 up to 1/4 mile away from you gets old real quick when you could flip a switch and stay put. Keap an eye on your clutch tension and your idle when you shift ( a high idle will make it shift harder and make more stress from not fully engaging).. Good Luck!!!!!!! ( make sure no gear is worped so there is no extra vibration.

Back