1Million gear oil question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco1005

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a redcat shredder that i am upgrading with leopard motor , blx185 ESC etc etc. I was originally going to go for 6S power and ordered 1M weight gear oil for center diff, but i am just sticking with 4S for now, so my question is...is it ok to still use that thick stuff on upgraded 4S power? or dont bother with it?

you dont need to add it..but It can't hurt

The thicker the diff fluid that you use is going to determine the amount of slipping that your differential is going to experience.

The thicker the diff fluid that you use is going to determine the amount of slipping that your differential is going to experience.
Ya, I just didn't know if using that thick stuff would somehow bog things down by just using 4s power, now it'll be big upgraded 4s power with the leopard and BLX . But Didn't know if that 1M oil is more for 6 or 8S , I've already got the diff open but don't want to bog it down , this stuff is super thick.

this is a matter of what your after from your diffs I've seen guys put all kinds of stuff to lock diffs from silly putty to .silicone(rtv) clay..I have a gt that has a clay diff..speed runs only

What does the diff have in it now?

I'm assuming this is for the center diff.

With my outcast (1/8th sized short wb truck), when I ran 4S, I ran 500K in the center and it did fine. Would still wheelie when I wanted to, but would allow enough power to dump to the front tires to make it easily drivable. It came stock with 100K in it I believe and it unloaded to the front constantly, which was really annoying for bashing for me.

When I started running 6S, I dropped it to 300K because 500K was undrivable. It just wheelied all the time. Even 300K is a bit much as it still has a tendency to pick the front end up in inopportune moments when I'm trying to pick up speed to hit a jump. If it was a kraton with longer wheelbase, 500K would be fine probably with 6S, but the shorter truck needs less for me at those RPM's.

If I pull the diff apart this winter, I'll replace the oil with 200K and see how I like that next spring.

EDIT:
Just looked it up, the shredder is a long wheel base truck. So likely thicker than what I use in my outcast will work fine. Just need to figure out what it comes with to make a best guess.

Last edited:
Back