1960's Tether Car Refurbish

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always tried to incorporate my guideline holes into my woodwork/body, instead of using the eye holes. I remember I had one that I called the Canadian goose, it was a solid 3mm from touching the floor, and painted like a goose, minus the extreme feather details, another one I carved I called the duck tank, it took forever to draw rivets, and lines onto the paint.

That skipping, and sliding sideways can be lessened by using the slightly more expensive grippy soft rubber wheels, as opposed to the hard plastic ones. The difference is $20 bought you a bag of 50 pairs of hard plastic wheels, and that same $20 would only net you about 10 pairs of the soft rubberized wheels.

Last edited:
This thread is awesome. I have never seen one of those carts and the history of it is really something to get into. I have heard about the old airplanes that were tethered like this but not karts. It makes me want to make a little kart just like that - that would be fully functional of at least the 2 channel set up...

Odds are, you never recovered from that devastating loss.
If you're gonna quote me Rolex at least get the spelling right! :p

Yeah I wondered how the cartridges were punctured, seems like the guy who punctures his can first wins more often than not.

The set up my shop teacher had, had a steel bar with two spikes built into the starting gate. when you pushed a button the steel bar would swing down and puncture both cars CO2 cans at the same time. and the finish line had a device built into it in order to tell who car crossed the line first in the case of a photo finish.

Update: Engine is finished. :celebrate:

MY NEW OLD STOCK PARTS FINALLY SHOWED UP AND I WAS ABLE TO FINISH UP THE ENGINE
THE ORIGINAL PRICES MARKED HAVE INCREASED ABOUT 1000%
DSCN0341.jpg

NEW GASKET, SHIMS, REED VALVE NEEDLE, PINION GEAR WASHER AND GLOW HEAD.
I THINK SHE'S READY TO GO.
DSCN0344.jpg

DSCN0346.jpg

I FOUND SOME MORE HIDDEN TREASURES AT MY GRANDPARENTS GARAGE INCLUDING THE TOP HALF OF THE KART DRIVER. :banana:
THE 1.5V BATTERY ON THE LEFT WAS USED TO LIGHT UP THE GLOW HEAD.
DSCN0347.jpg

DSCN0348.jpg

TODAY I'M GOING TO ATTEMPT TO FIRE UP THE ENGINE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN
OVER 50 YEARS.
I STILL DONT KNOW THE NITRO / OIL CONTENT FOR THESE ENGINES.
I'M GONNA TRY MY O'DONNELS 20% AND SEE HOW SHE GOES.
THIS IS THE STARTING PROCEDURE, KINDA INTERESTING.
gocub11.jpg

Last edited:
The engine looks brand new, so does the driver with the buttoned up shirt collar. Do you have the nitro or oil content on the old can?

Thanks guys! It cleaned up better than expected . I can't find any info on nitro/ oil anywhere on the internet, and it's not printed on the can. Good news is I can get it running, bad news is only about 5 seconds at a time. Hopefully it's just a matter of fine tuning the reed valve

Last edited:
Ok Engines is still in business and they offer a glow head- glow plug conversion along with many other engine parts.. I'm waiting for them to mail me a catalog.
Sooner I can get a glow plug head the better, the glow head clip and battery is a PITA

It's so cool you actually got it started, I honestly didn't think you would find parts for it.

Thanks Smaxxin. I'm amazed I was able to find parts. Engine parts are still available from Ok Engines and I scored some crucial parts from ebay including a new fuel tank. I think she'll be up and running in no time.

Good evening all, I'm new to this forum. Either way I've got an O.K. Cadet with the stock .024 engine on it. Please let's know what you find when you get the catalog. Yours is looking great!

Welcome to forum noahsark. Looks like you have the same engine I have.
This company is kind of strange. They have a website but it's not interactive and it's mostly train related.
If you want to order a catalog or order parts, all correspondence is done through their email : [email protected]
They accept checks, money orders, credit cards and paypal

No parts available for the Cub Cadet trainer plane (sold out), but they have every part imaginable for the .024/ .025 engines and parts are dirt cheap.
There's supposed to be a glow head- glow plug conversion available for the .024 but I can't find it in the current catalog.
If you need specific parts let me know. I can give you the part numbers and costs.

Last edited:
Back