1938 Triple cockpit barrel back

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopster

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hey everyone... I new here and looking for advice from experienced BUILDERS.

I'm looking for alternat ways to be able to bend planks on the bow area.
the manual says to use a 50 50 solution of ammonia and water
my issue is that you can't buy it in canada unless its a mild and scented cleaning product

I have tried distilled white vinegar and water ( found that one on a rc forum before ) but that just sucked the colour out the mahogany planks ..
boat.jpg

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

Last edited:
try steam the older new way. get a tea kettle. a piece of radiator hose, and a piece of pvc(depends on wood size) with a screw on end. (glue) bond other end put wood in pipe for 10minutes then pull out with heavier gloves bend in jig .let it setup a few hours your done

Like what tnt said, I have watched shows where they were building wooden boats. They all used steam to bend the wood.

When I was young I.was a woodworker and worked in a cabinet shop. We bent boards kinda the same way, but we just had a horse trough with heated water. When the board came out it was pulled around a curved jig under heat lamps and clamped there til it was completely dry. It worked ok.

Since you are doing small stuff, you could suspend the planks over a pot of boiling water.

I use steam when working with my popsicle sticks.

The wife has a big pot with a vented/closed lid "adjustable" just by turning the lid so when I put it on the stove for boil the steam only comes out one hole so it's perfect for steaming and bending wood. I was building a RC airboat and used the same technique bending the thin plywood I used for the bottom.

How do you create the steam and apply it to the popsicle sticks?
I've used the tea kettle. Had to put up with that shrill whistle, but got a focused stream of steam. I also have a steam cleaner with an attachment that acts like an air compressor "gun" that would probably do the same.