1/5 scale gas Baja 5b air filter upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HueyC

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have recently acquired a new 1/5 scale Baja 5b 30.5cc gas engine. I've purchased an upgrade on Amazon, see link below and wanted to know if anyone has any experience or opinion about using wire mess vs factory foam filter setup. It looks cool but not sure durability and how to maintain it over time. See picture attach

TOP SPEED RC WORLD Air filter Set With Plastic Yellow cover for 1/5 RC Hpi

Attachments

• IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 561
IMO the best setup is a Blur or Kraken quick connect using the stock filter setup with a TGN Redneck outer filter and an Outerwear over the top.

I think you would be better off with a filter with a foam element that you can take off and clean and put it right back on. This one in the picture has no secondary element so the filter material is going to plug up and you can't just blow it with air and expect it to be clean again. I realize that this one is probably stated to be a "hi-flo" filter, but there will be no improvement over a stock filter that you would be able to notice.

Look into the motor saver filters. They have a great 2 stage filter system!

Look into the motor saver filters. They have a great 2 stage filter system!
While I agree Motor Saver makes great filters I don't recall them ever offering a filter for 1/5th scale RC's.

On my HPI Baja I also used the Blur filter setup along with an Outerwear pre-filter and was very happy with the setup.

Ah, we'll that would make it difficult to purchase a 1/5 scale filter from them then. Bummer! The 2 stage design is what I would be after... Similar in their design.

I just looked them up... I REALLY thought I remembered 1/5 scale being listed but since I don't own one, it wouldn't have been stuck in my brain... (insert joke here)
Anyways... Yes, they do have some 1/5 scale filters as well. Def worth a look!

Last edited:
I think you would be better off with a filter with a foam element that you can take off and clean and put it right back on. This one in the picture has no secondary element so the filter material is going to plug up and you can't just blow it with air and expect it to be clean again. I realize that this one is probably stated to be a "hi-flo" filter, but there will be no improvement over a stock filter that you would be able to notice.
Thank you for advice. I'll throw filter cover occur it hopefully that will provide some additional protection. I am stuck with it so give it a try and let you know how it performs

Thank you for advice. I'll throw filter cover occur it hopefully that will provide some additional protection. I am stuck with it so give it a try and let you know how it performs

You might can cut an trim the stock pre filter to fit over it ,at least that would help keep it cleaner!

When you refer to stock pre-filter you mean the outer foam layer comes with car. What about the fabric cover that you buy? Is that not give you same protection as foam... thanks

When you refer to stock pre-filter you mean the outer foam layer comes with car. What about the fabric cover that you buy? Is that not give you same protection as foam... thanks

Yea ,if you still have that outer sponge ,you should be able to trim it to where you can slide it over the chrome
filter housing ,an maybe able to put the yellow housing back!

I know the chrome looks cool seeing it through the yellow ,but its better if you can protect your investment!
I don't really care about sock type covers ,they may restrict too much air ,not sure though ,never used one!

Yea ,if you still have that outer sponge ,you should be able to trim it to where you can slide it over the chrome
filter housing ,an maybe able to put the yellow housing back!

I know the chrome looks cool seeing it through the yellow ,but its better if you can protect your investment!
I don't really care about sock type covers ,they may restrict too much air ,not sure though ,never used one!
Cool, thanks for advice

Back