1/16 Nitro???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlobbia

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Hello all. I have a tmaxx and an Ofna Ultra Lx Comp, but those are both really big and loud. I sometimes tune it out in front of my house but I don't think my neighbors enjoy it. I have been looking at 16th scale nitro rcs. What do you think about them? Are they worth it, and should I consider getting one?
Where do you even get them? Nito RCX has some listed but they are all out of stock. :/

I've actually recently purchased a 1/16 SH engine for a future MT project this Winter. I saw only a few left when I got it, didn't want to take a chance on not getting one if the supply chain is dried up for the time being.

Hello all. I have a tmaxx and an Ofna Ultra Lx Comp, but those are both really big and loud. I sometimes tune it out in front of my house but I don't think my neighbors enjoy it. I have been looking at 16th scale nitro rcs. What do you think about them? Are they worth it, and should I consider getting one?
Where do you even get them? Nito RCX has some listed but they are all out of stock. :/
Here is a cheap and good one https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/meteor-1...olled-buggy-24ghz-version.html?fee=3&fep=6953

If you're worried about noise and your neighbors, 1/16 nitro isn't going to help you any. Heck, even my old Cox .049 engines are loud.

For low noise and to appease the neighbors you need to go electric. To me they aren't as appealing as nitros but better than cops showing up for noise complaints.

Also, it depends on the pipe. No matter what you do, a nitro won't be silent and sometimes the smaller engines are even more annoying because the exhaust note is higher pitch.

The t-maxx with the stock composite pipe is about as quiet as it gets for a nitro.

I have a tiny yard, but my neighbors are reasonable. I test my nitros from time to time, or break in engines, no complaints. I mean seriously, do your neighbors call the cops when you're cutting your grass with a lawnmower, or weedwacker?

As for running nitros, I've ran them at ballfields for years, and never once had a complaint. Usually people come up and are curious, including cops who might be around.

I mean seriously, do your neighbors call the cops when you're cutting your grass with a lawnmower, or weedwacker?

It's different when the "noise" is serving a purpose other than amusement. Do I enjoy hearing a leaf blower or mower running outside for 30 minutes, no. But if they were just sitting there with the leaf blower running full tilt while sitting and eating a sandwich for 30 minutes... I'd go out and ask them to shut the stupid thing off.

It's different when the "noise" is serving a purpose other than amusement. Do I enjoy hearing a leaf blower or mower running outside for 30 minutes, no. But if they were just sitting there with the leaf blower running full tilt while sitting and eating a sandwich for 30 minutes... I'd go out and ask them to shut the stupid thing off.

I can see that argument too.

I guess it really depends on the neighbors, size of yards, and what constitutes a "disturbing" noise to people. My neighbors come out and watch with smiles whenever I test anything, and ask me questions about how I built it, or how much they cost or where they can get one(and of course, if they can drive it, lol), so I'm pretty lucky in that regard. Plus I am not running for very long or often.

Luckily where I live, there are a number of ballfields and parks that are well off the beaten path with no residential housing, so those are perfect areas to run. I set up my course on a little used ballfield that is away from any of the little league or soccer games that might occur, nobody bothers me at all.

I know if/when I do run nitro, it's not uncommon for me to go through 1000cc's of fuel on a bash day. I can't imagine how 2-3 hours of that thing constantly running would be to a neighbor. lol!

Like some of the other guys said, if you have neighbors, you might want to think about electric. I love the sound of nitro engines, but after hearing one going back and forth in front of my house gets pretty annoying. I have a nitro, but I only run it in when I'm not around houses. I don't know if you might want to look into electric. They are faster, cleaner, and quiet. Even a small nitro motor is loud.