Futaba 4PK 2.4Ghz FASST Radio

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The new Futaba 4PK has just been released and includes some pretty impressive features including 2.4Ghz! The Futuba 4PK 4 channel radio weighs only...

Click to Continue

I get a mixed emotion with the looks of the new radio. I do like the screen more angled towards the top, and having a lighter weight would help. My 3PK feels like it weighs 5 lbs with a 2500mah battery.

Just when I thought I was perfectly happy with my 3PK...

I'm not feeling it with the look of the radio.

I also can't tell from the pic if it's still module based.

I can't see the module if there is one. Looks built in.

Here are some more pics from different angles. It's starting to grow on me.

Attachments

• dsc00046[1].jpe
    dsc00046[1].jpe
    81.1 KB · Views: 171
  • dsc00047[1].jpe
    dsc00047[1].jpe
    78.2 KB · Views: 198
  • sany0078[1].jpe
    sany0078[1].jpe
    44.8 KB · Views: 172
  • sany0079[1].jpe
    sany0079[1].jpe
    42.8 KB · Views: 165
I wonder if they fixed the failsafe issue in the new radio? I remember Rob mentioning that he had to re-bind the rx every time he wanted to turn the failsafe on with the FASST module.

I really like the mirrored showcase with the turntable.
That same $600 will get you 2 M11s.

Once you price out the M11 with 2.4GHz DSS you're pretty close in price.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSUC6&P=7

I'd expect the 4PK to drop in price slightly once it is available.

Last edited:
Once you price out the M11 with 2.4GHz DSS you're pretty close in price.

Good point. I was thinking about the one I got. FM. The 2.4 at 527 is still a WAY better looker. It just looks like it's worth the money.

Maybe he likes something he can hold on to. :LoL:

When I look at the 4PK the only thing that comes to mind is......and people said the Sensor was ugly?

I have to agree that is not much of a radio to look at....kinda spendy too. I don't race so I'm not going to pay as much for a radio as another rc........maybe I am offtrack with my ideas.......but hey Rolex I live in Japan.....all the girls are tiny here......nice.=devil

Ooooohhh... Aaaaaahhh...

Personally I (3PK owner) think it looks sweet. I mean c'mon now.. even the Sensor is better looking than any gaudy high end Airtronics radio. Bleh!

I'm glad to hear they've shaved some weight off it though. The angled screen is nice but what does it REALLY do that a 3Pk doesn't?

Hey Rolex, yeah I am military. Not from Jersey though.. I did a tour in Antarctica at McMurdo station with the New York Air Guard and that ended up being a nickname that stuck with me. But back on topic.....I don't mind how the radio looks just not the price tag. I will go with the "only a mother could love that face" Sensor for that price. Oh yeah...I'm doon good. Thanks youes guys.

keep in mind the price listed in MSRP...other than dorkhead hobby shops who charges MSRP on their product...I think MSRP on the 3PK was the same and you can pick those up for 350-400 at most LHS....I like the look but I already have a 3PK w/spektrum and like lessen said, "what does it REALLY do that a 3Pk doesn't?"......

The 3PK by itself does not have spread spectrum technology, and requires a module. The 4PK is built in.

Quick google search came up with this.

Features
- Much consideration went into the design of the 4PK’s grip, which is slightly thicker to accommodate larger hands. Besides being lighter, the transmitter’s weight is well balanced for added comfort.
- Achieve perfect “feel” in seconds with the Advanced Positioning Adapter. You can drop the wheel down, move it left or right, even change the angle – a feature many drivers have requested.
- The trigger position can also be shifted by as much as 7 mm. This allows you to customize the radio for sharper response based on finger size.
- The redesigned keypad features a large 4-direction jog button for quick access and scrolling. Important functions can be assigned to buttons on the wheel housing to keep them within easy reach.
- Not only is the backlit LCD screen large enough for easy reading without eye strain, it’s also angled for instant viewing without having to tilt the transmitter.
- Because the 4PK was engineered from the beginning for 2.4GHz modulation, there’s no long, unwieldy antenna. Instead, the antenna is shorter and lighter in weight, folds down for easy storage, and pivots for optimum reception.
- No NiCd battery here – the 4PK comes with an 1700mAh NiMH pack that’s comparable in size, but with almost twice the capacity. That means about TWO HOURS of operation on a single charge – enough for the longest of mains and maybe even an entire weekend of racing!
- The included R604FS receiver features Dual Antenna Diversity (DAD) for reliability and security. Its compact size (1.54 x 1.02 x .55 inches) and weight (0.49 ounces) lets you use it in the tightest installations.

Overview

4PK System Overview:
- 40-model memory
- 10-character model naming
- 4th channel for brake bias, throttle adjustments, etc.
- 2 programmable mixes
- Assignable button, trims and dials
- Digital trims and dials
- Advanced Positioning Adapter (APA)
- Adjustable trigger location
- Backlit 128 x 64 white LCD screen with adjustable contrast
- Subtrims, servo reversing and EPA on all channels
- Fail safe
- DSC (Direct Servo Control)
- Exponential & Adjustable Servo Speed (Steering/Throttle)
- Up/Down, Lap & Systems timers
- 100-lap memory
- ATL (Electronic & Mechanical)
- Traction Control/Acceleration Rate
- ABS braking system
- Boat mixing
- Idle-Up
- Tx NiMH and Dual-Output Charger

4PK Specifications:
- “New Driver”, “Race-Ready”, “Expert” and “Big Car” menus that add functions based on driving skill level and experience
- Throttle Mode Select, for selecting acceleration/brake servo neutral points between 70/30 for nitro or 50/50 for electrics
- Vibrating alert system
- “Direct Select” single-button access to eight preassigned functions
- Navigation Lap Timer that sounds when target lap time is exceeded
- Servo Display Screen shows set-ups/mixes for individual servos (Expert Menu)
- Throttle programming options, including 5-point curve, Expo and VTR

The biggest differencec I see is the built in DSS, 4th channel, more adjustable wheel/trigger, and vibrating alert system.

The vibrating alert system alone was enough to convince me to put one on backorder. :LoL:

Vibrating alert is cool, I like that idea. The 3PK Super has that though. 4th channel is cool too but is not really usable for race applications.. Hell, I don't even think you can utilize a 3rd channel in big santioned events can you?

DSS is the biggest difference I can see. But is the FAAST system compatible with Spektrum branded receivers? There's no way I would spend another $400 on a radio just to go ahead and replace another $400+ on receivers for many of us who run Spektrum. This radio is certainly a front runner in the high end Tx market but I can't imagine replacing a 3PK with it. Even if compatibility isn't an issue I don't think the other features are worth $400. Less than that actually if you (most likely) sold a 3PK.. What do you think a used 3PK is worth now?...

I forgot about vibrating alert. I know I have it in either the XS3 pro or the M11. Maybe both. It just hasn't had a reason to vibrate. After forgetting all about it, if it went off it would probably scare the hell out of me.
Anyway, the 4PK looks like something that would come with an $85 Radio Shack special.

I don't know, the price is more than I'd care to pay. I'm still considering the Spektrum Pro.....

Back