Wild Fire smoke and haze coming down to BMore.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
When I walked out the door this morning. It was really hazy. Smelt like burning plastic. Saw that the sun was bright red on Reddit.

We were supposed to have our 8th Grade Field day and picnic today. That ain't happening so everyone is mad. I am too.
Screenshot 2023-06-07 9.09.09 AM.png

We can't even go outside for PE today.
All windows and doors has to be closed.
I walk home from school everyday. My house is only 6 mins away from school. Bad, Not Bad?
The Apocalypse is coming!!!
9:26 : 177 AQI (still bad-ish)

Last edited:
Hopefully, the morning air inversion will lift and your afternoon will clear. Quebec in neighboring Canada has more than 160 wildfires burning. Twelve other states in the NE are experiencing the same air quality issues as you.

Too bad about your field day. Maybe time to re-schedule it before summer break? Better safe than sorry as school is concerned for all of its students' health. Be a good day for organizing the RC workbench and staying inside. 'AC'

Yep, pretty bad here in upstate NY too..
8th grade!? Wow, can't say I remember that, LOL.
Sorry to hear ur trip got cancelled.. I DO remember how happy I was to get out of the classroom for anything though..

Well that sucks.

Not sure if it makes you feel better or not but it's data. This is from the purpleair website. They collect data from their sensors that are consumer based. Being consumer product (low cost) with no calibration or control, it's probably not as accurate as the weather stations. But it gives you some idea of where things are at.

https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10/p604800/cC0#10.67/39.3315/-76.5549
1686150006047.png

It's bad but not that bad. You should have seen our air quality a few years back when the entire state was on fire. The AQI in my area was in the mid to high 300. On the other side of the hill from me (2 miles) is was over 300. In San Jose and the nearest fires were 30-40 miles away.

It wasn't fun but we survived. We stayed inside and ran the air purifiers. If are having issue an properly fitting N95 mask can help. It will filter particles down to .3 microns.

Don't fret though, you're near the ocean. At some point it will blow out over night and all that will be left is the pictures.

Can't believe they actually cancelled a field trip over that. I've been outside today, walked 3 miles. It's not that bad at all.
For healthy folks, not a big deal.. but asthmatics ..not good..
This wildfire stuff is unnerving to me.. something I don't recall seeing in my lifetime here in the northeastern US..last couple years though..🤔

Be a good day for organizing the RC workbench and staying inside. 'AC'
True. Last night I glued up my radio trigger with Gorilla super glue. Way much better than what I used last time.

I'm hoping my uncle can return my cars tonight or tomorrow night so I can start wrenching and hopefully get the buggy and mini b ready for racing on Saturday.

My uncle needs to dremel the mini b screws going up on the chassis so hopefully it doesn't damage the chassis. If it does, I can't race on Saturday.

Not really a field trip. Its still on school grounds. But still outside.

I know.

Cupcakes in the gym will help .

For healthy folks, not a big deal.. but asthmatics ..not good..
This wildfire stuff is unnerving to me.. something I don't recall seeing in my lifetime here in the northeastern US..last couple years though..🤔
They are becoming more frequent for a few reasons.

In CA the power company hasn't been maintaining the power lines properly. They wind comes and they break and the fire start... or that's the story.

The other reason is the forest service stopped cleaning underbrush and reducing access on fire roads about 15 years ago. The reasoning is they want to preserve the forest and the natural cycle will take care of the underbrush. The natural cycle is fire.

They are becoming more frequent for a few reasons.

In CA the power company hasn't been maintaining the power lines properly. They wind comes and they break and the fire start... or that's the story.

The other reason is the forest service stopped cleaning underbrush and reducing access on fire roads about 15 years ago. The reasoning is they want to preserve the forest and the natural cycle will take care of the underbrush. The natural cycle is fire.
Cupcakes..😂😂
Yeah, with regards to land management, I suspect budget cuts/shortages are much to blame..
Edited.

Last edited:
Yeah the last three years we've had three solid months of smoke and ash during the summer. Being near the Central Valley CA, we get smoke from up north and down south when there are fires. Hopefully this year will be better. Haven't really been able to get up into the hills much the last few years because of the fires, which means no crawling. :(

Sorry to hear ur trip got cancelled.. I DO remember how happy I was to get out of the classroom for anything though..
Yep.

My 5th Grade Graduation was cancelled. Well it was virtual or online because of covid.

My 8th Grade Gradation is this Friday. This shouldn't really affect it.
🤣

Yeah the last three years we've had three solid months of smoke and ash during the summer. Being near the Central Valley CA, we get smoke from up north and down south when there are fires. Hopefully this year will be better. Haven't really been able to get up into the hills much the last few years because of the fires, which means no crawling. :(
You're welcome in my neighborhood anytime. We have a few good spots.

You just need dry water feature. This is a local park. They created a very nice water feature and pond in the driest state. Oops. So they drained it and it's a really nice crawl spot now.

Yep.

My 5th Grade Graduation was cancelled. Well it was virtual or online because of covid.

My 8th Grade Gradation is this Friday. This shouldn't really affect it.

🤣
Oh.. now I get it.. I mistakenly thought YOU were the 8th grader!!😉🤪😆😂

its already here .been here for 3 days breathing is hard. only drove to pizza joint
Some other classmates say its hard to breathe too. I got no problem. The air in the school is pretty dry. Once I get home, my nose is all stuffed up. Probably because of dry vs moist air.

You just need dry water feature. This is a local park. They created a very nice water feature and pond in the driest state. Oops. So they drained it and it's a really nice crawl spot now.

Every time I see videos of that spot I'm envious.

Nice Sport.

Back