Questions on chargers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA0701

RCTalk Qualifier
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I am in the market for a quality charger, currently using an HTRC T240 Duo, and hopefully looking for one that also has a faster dishcharge/storage rate. I see a lot of mentions on DC chargers, such as the Junsi iCharger DX8. So, while fully aware of how dumb I sound here, but do these DC chargers need an external battery in order to charge my batteries? My understanding is that DC is basically battery power, while AC is power from the wall, to put things simple for my simple mind. Is it not possible to get the high charge/discharge rates with an AC charger?

Yep. DC chargers need a external power supply. AC chargers use the normal wall plug. AC/DC chargers can do both.

DC power source gives alot more higher charge rate and discharge rate than AC (normally)

Currently, I have a SkyRC T200. 200W charger (100w per channel), I can charge my packs at 12A and discharge them around 1A. If you want a higher discharge rate, you would need a external discharger, or discharge bank. The most powerful AC charger I seen is between the G.E.N.S A.C.E D300 and Hota D6 Pro (Pro is AC/DC i believe, and the normal is DC only) which those chargers have a max around 15 or 16A charge. Oh yea, also forgot to include the SkyRC T1000 / HiTec RDX2 1000.

Idk all the science behind it but Ryan talks alot about it in this video:

Personally, lots of my race buddies use iChargers. My uncle has a older 308 Duo. Most of my buddies have 458s, X6s, and expensive chargers. I'm sticking with my little T200 until I need a upgrade, or when it dies out.

Yep. DC chargers need a external power supply. AC chargers use the normal wall plug. AC/DC chargers can do both.

DC power source gives alot more higher charge rate and discharge rate than AC (normally)

Currently, I have a SkyRC T200. 200W charger (100w per channel), I can charge my packs at 12A and discharge them around 1A. If you want a higher discharge rate, you would need a external discharger, or discharge bank. The most powerful AC charger I seen is between the G.E.N.S A.C.E D300 and Hota D6 Pro (Pro is AC/DC i believe, and the normal is DC only) which those chargers have a max around 15 or 16A charge. Oh yea, also forgot to include the SkyRC T1000 / HiTec RDX2 1000.

Idk all the science behind it but Ryan talks alot about it in this video:

Personally, lots of my race buddies use iChargers. My uncle has a older 308 Duo. Most of my buddies have 458s, X6s, and expensive chargers. I'm sticking with my little T200 until I need a upgrade, or when it dies out.
Thank you, so very much, David, this was very helpful. I was actually considering the HiTec RDX2 1000, and saw that for an additional investment you can pair it with the AD350 for faster discharges. That may well be the direction I go.

Otherwise, I will have to purchase an additional DC power supply, if I bought the iCharger. The HiTec might very well be the best of all worlds, especially when coupled with the AD350, but I will do a bit more research, to make sure I am getting the best bang for my buck.

Cheers, my friend, and thank you again, so much!!

Newbie warning 🤣

I have the hota d6 pro. Discharge is pretty slow, but for us it works 🤷‍♂️
Thank you for that! I decided to take the day, and refresh the storage charge on a few batteries today, and on just the first 2 3S it has been running for about 2.5-3 hours so far. I have several more to do, so I was thinking there has to be a better way. From what I am learning, if I wish for a simple plug it into the wall and connect the batteries solution, I am not sure there really is one.

I was originally thinking about the DX8, but by the time I buy the charger, and an external DC power supply, I'm 4 bills deep in a charger, but if I buy the HiTec, with the added discharger, I'm over that as well. However, from what I am reading here, in a discussion on the difference between the SkyRC T1000 and the HiTec RDX2 1000 chargers, I might be better off going with the DX8, if speed is what I am looking for. The Junsi adjustable power supply seems to be out of stock most everywhere, not even considering it is a $250 option.

What Bill just gave me, though, makes things a lot more simple, and cost effective. Now, let me research that option, thank you so much Bill!!

Thank you for that! I decided to take the day, and refresh the storage charge on a few batteries today, and on just the first 2 3S it has been running for about 2.5-3 hours so far. I have several more to do, so I was thinking there has to be a better way. From what I am learning, if I wish for a simple plug it into the wall and connect the batteries solution, I am not sure there really is one.

I was originally thinking about the DX8, but by the time I buy the charger, and an external DC power supply, I'm 4 bills deep in a charger, but if I buy the HiTec, with the added discharger, I'm over that as well. However, from what I am reading here, in a discussion on the difference between the SkyRC T1000 and the HiTec RDX2 1000 chargers, I might be better off going with the DX8, if speed is what I am looking for. The Junsi adjustable power supply seems to be out of stock most everywhere, not even considering it is a $250 option.

What Bill just gave me, though, makes things a lot more simple, and cost effective. Now, let me research that option, thank you so much Bill!!
We are new to this, just backyard bashing and crawling with my kids. Discharge is only used hen we charge up all the batteries and then break the ride while bashing 🤣. The hota discharges at .3 amps if I recall right. Charge rate is good for us, I stay on the conservative side for that.

The Hota D6 Pro is all the charger you need. Make sure to check the balance current on any chargers you look at. The watts and amperage don't mean much if the charger falls on its face during the balance cycle, which is what takes up the largest portion of the charge cycle. Most people completely overlook one of the most important specs. If you're going to buy anything other than the Hota, get a Junsi iCharger.

While researching the power supply, the Venom Pro Quad charger popped up, so I read some reviews, and this poor dude's review is sitting there. Serious warning, if you have a Venom Pro charger, it apparently burned this guy's house down, and nothing was plugged into it. Be careful folks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01HZ1M2FM

Not trying to shift blame, but seriously, there is no reason to ever leave a charger plugged in and left unattended for any reason.

People have become complacent with consumer electronics and have come to expect to leave all their chargers plugged in for daily use consumables. These RC chargers produce very high power output and as that dude discovered the hard way can be VERY dangerous when not used properly :(

Those Venom chargers were problematic. Not the first time I have heard of them catching fire. I think there was a guy that had a Youtube vid about his burning up as well. Regardless, didn't Venom go out of business?

Last edited:
I find it Funny when stupidity goes on..every electrical device has burnt houses down.My 4 bedroom home has 8 smoke detectors 5 Fire extinguishers 2 fire blankets .not counting my rc gear where all my battery storage places has a sd..

Ok, so my update, I found a site, Buddy RC, and they make 12V and 24V (1800W) DC power supplies, as well as sell the DX8 for $50 less than I have found elsewhere. But, the plot thickens, I spoke with a gentleman there, who was very knowledgeable, and he asked why I wanted the charger, etc.. When I explained to him that due to conditions, I often have to shelve my batteries, and I have 11 of them (2 each for all five of my rigs, and 1 for the transmitter), and I really would like to speed that process up. Knowing I am looking at one of his own power supplies and the DX8, he steered me into a completely different direction. He suggested I buy a ISDT FD200 discharger, and a gensacearespammers D300 charger. He stated the FD200 is the fastest discharger/storage device on the market, and stated that even if I bought the DX8 and the 24V power supply, it would not discharge as fast as the FD200.

I learned something new, which I am likely the last one on the forum to learn, I have no doubt, but he said that the size of the power supply would have no effect on discharging.

Firstly, I have ordered the FD200, and am waiting for more D300s to show up in stock, as I would much prefer the black one, only since it is easier to keep clean. Secondly, Buddy RC has earned a new customer, 100%. If there was ever a customer primed for upselling to a higher end device, as I was already leaning to the DX8, it was me, and instead he moved me to two devices that together only cost about half as much.

Thank you, everyone, who helped educate me on the world of chargers!!

Ok, LOL, why does the "gensacearespammers" in my last post show up as "gensacearespammers", was it really that bad around here? I can't even type it in quotes, I'm dying here!! 😂

I've looked at that discharger before, but wasn't sure... how does it keep the cells balanced with no balance lead connection?

Did you see where I said the balance current is an important feature?
D300
Screenshot_20240506_173757.jpg

Hota D6 Pro
Screenshot_20240506_173824.jpg

You've been had 😝

I did not order the charger yet, I actually have the Hota D6 Pro in my cart as I type this, not even joking.

I wish to add, that is based solely on the recommendations I have gotten here. I did order the FD200, though, based on Buddy RC's recommendation. It is probably a good thing the D300 was out of stock, as it gave me more time to consider the charger.

Last edited:
I've looked at that discharger before, but wasn't sure... how does it keep the cells balanced with no balance lead connection?
I literally have no idea, honestly, I ordered it based only on his recommendation. I asked him if it was a faster discharge over the SkyRC BD250, and he said it was, and that the FD200 is what they use in the shop. My thinking was, literally, since he is recommending something that is less that what I called him intending to buy, why would he steer me wrong? I guess I will see when it arrives, and I will be happy to report back here, if you'd like.

Here ya go. This will explain it.
Very helpful, thank you for sharing this!

My T200 has 10W discharge current. Which is 1amp.
Seems the T240 Duo I currently have has the same discharge power, 10W, but a discharge current of 0.1 to 2.0A. I can't find the balance power for it. This whole search was the result of my putting a bunch of batteries into storage yesterday, spending all day running back and forth between two chargers (I have a Traxxas EZ Peak Live Duel for my Traxxas cells). When it comes to ease of use, you can't beat the Traxxas stuff, for sure, coupled with the bluetooth app is also a nice touch. But, most of my batteries, obviously are not Traxxas, and my thinking that there has to be a better way, so then you end up down this rabbit hole 😂

Last edited: