Your thoughts on my LHS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadOleRoss

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am new to nitro and new to this forum as well. It all started Christmas day when I broke in my Savage 21, ran it a bit, tore my knuckles up and decided a roto start and reverse were the way to go. I ordered and installed roto and reverse but developed a problem with the servo horns and accelerator sticking and could not get the reverse to engage to I took it to my LHS for help. He has had in since 1/1/04. I have talked to him on serveral occasions over the past 2 weeks. First he said it needed a new servo due to an oversized screw I put in the original to secure the horns and I was guilty of this. Later he could not test it due to rain. After this he was waiting on a new reverse module from HPI because the one I installed was bad. The lastest is it needs a new engine due to no compression. He believes this is due to high revs which did occur when I was breaking it. When I stopped by to visit my Savage it still had the original servo in place which makes me think that it has been sitting on a work bench for 2 weeks. I did mave him order the .25 motor to replace the .21, I had him order a replacement servo to replace the one I messed up. He clearly did not start the engine to test it after the rain stopped. Can you identify a bad reverse module w/o starting the Savage? What in a reverse module can go bad anyway? I should have found this forum before I took it to my LHS and I would have done the repairs myself! Any thoughts ?

About the engine: Did you not hold back and let 'er rip during break in? What happened?

About the servo: Was the screw you put in the servo horn just HUGE? When you put the screw in, did you really have to crank it down to get it in?

Sorry but I don't have a Savage so I can't help you with the reverse module.

as for the Reverse... it is possible to get a defected reverse... yesterday a customer bought a reverse and broke... they ordered a new one...

NO you don't need the engine to start to test the reverse..

just turn the spur gear manually.. thats all

as for the servo you can break it by puttin an over sized screw..

hate to say this.. but that is the only way you get experince in this hobby

you have to break a couple things to understand it well...

as for the engine.. you can break it if you let it ripp too early... you should only let it rip on the 10th tank...

reason being your engine is not properly lube up..

before you start the engine run some after run oil..

give a few tugs w/o the glow plug in there.. let it sit

start the engine and have the truck lifted and idle.. the engine should be running rich... and wheels should be spinning

when that tank is done, do it the 2nd time...

after the 3rd tank run ARO agian.. let is sit... on the 4th through 6th tank do moderate drive... NOT WOT...

After 10th tank you seriously let it rip.. every time you are done playing it put ARO (After Run Oil)

then store it...

Last edited:
The screw I placed in the servo was only slightly large than the original. The problem I was having was the servo was moving the lower horn but the top horn that controls the gas/acceleration was sitting still when the servo moved. My guess, which it appears was very wrong was the screw was not tight enough.

As far as break in goes, I went through 3 tanks of fuel before opening it up as per the directions but I guess a bit more break is is needed. On the postive side I will have a slightly larger motor and a damaged motor to work on.

Hey Ross don't know if you are interested but you can get the new S-25 motor in the HPI engine exchange for $99.00. It would involve sending your 21 to HPI. Than again you can get a new piston and sleeve for it if the conrod is that new that's what I'd do. I am with TRD here I do not let the LHS touch anything on my truck. I only ask them a little advice and that's it. Sometimes they sound like they know what they are talking about just really depends on the guy behind the counter. Ya never know he could have less time in the hobby than you.

i think that is the problem with my savage....manual only says 3 tanks for break in and that is what i did. that and the backplate came loose.

I will leave it with my LHS the remainder of this week then it's coming home. I can replace the motor and get it running if he can't. This time, I will go through 7-10 tanks of fuel doing a break in.