Xtreme Glitching !!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_789

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok boys I will bring this to you just incase you have any ideas. I installed an Xtreme Racing Carbon Fiber Chassis on my epede a week or so ago and have extreme glitching and lost have my range. Here is what I did to try and remidy it.
I have twisted every wire on my pede and no wires are directly touching the chasis I have the reciver at the oposiste end of the SR and I have the servo and rc controler wire in some coax insulation that I cut off a piece of coax. None of these things helped so I pulled all my stuff and reintstalled on old chassis to verify I did not have a short in something cause by the swap. Nope my stuff works great on old chasis. I need help guys.

Here is a couple pics before I redid all the electronics.

chasis_side.jpg

chasis_side1.jpg

chasis_top.jpg

Help me out guys X

Looking at the pic I think your issue at this point is the antenna. It must be in a tube and in the full upright position.

Welcome to the world of carbon fiber and graphite.
Everything must be isolated from the chassis. Everything…
Use servo tape under your RX, ESC. and Batteries, Fuel tube over all your wires.
Make sure your antenna wire is in its full upright position. Also, look at any place that metal touches metal and see of you can isolate that as well.

Try to hold your RX as far from the chassis as possible and see if you are still having issues. The carbon fiber can make an electromagnetic field around the chassis. The secret is to isolate everything from that field and to extend the antenna past it.

AM radios and receivers are a bit more susceptible to the interference than FM.
Be sure that your TX antenna is all the way up as well. The two antennas are very important. Batteries fully charged your TX?

Have fun.

any sugestions on a battery tube holder. There is no mount with this chasis I looked one but it is aluminum and I was told thats just as bad. X

X how did you get the front end of your pede to sit so low? No wonder you don't have a flipping problem. I think my next project is gonna be getting extenda blocks or tryin to make something that can give me a wider stance, dunno.

I will look this weekend and see exactly how I have the suspension up right now wand I will post it on here for you. X

Oh i just rememebered tha tin the kit there was one pice of carbon fiber a little block that looks like it goes on at the front of the chasis well I did not install that the first time and that is part of the reason its so low. After I pulled everything then reinstalled it I inserted that blcok on the underneeth side of the chasis between it and the bulk head and it sits a bit higher in the front.
X

yeah that little block is on mine as well. so basically that picture is that low because that piece is not on. if that's the case i wonder if we really need it.

Thats a good questions. Actually if these chassis weren't such a good deal I think that the Thundertech was actually the better looking chasis. It had bump steering installed and it had a carbon fiber battery holder top. I know ohioJ bought one the thundertech but he paid 3 times what we did anyway it still looks cool I just have get these glitching issues figured out. I am closing on a house in a week and a half after that I think the wife should be cool with me getting a nice fm radio so maybe that will help if not its cool cause I want one so I can race road cars indoor thiw winter. X

I have a little glitching goin on but maybe if I can get my antnenna back in a tube it'll work better. the only thing is there is no place to put the antena on these chassis & these battery holders aren't that great but for $40 i'll figure it out trust me.

Here is the setup I am using now but I have my antenna at the very front extended off the front body mount with some twist ties. Notice below that I mounted my RPM esc mount onto the rear battery holder then installed the ESC on top of that and the reciever at the front of the chasis. Now I can install the battery under the esc and then use a velcro strap around the front so I dont have to fool with those crapy little clips. X

electric_redo1.jpg

electric_redo2.jpg

http://www.dirtyrc.com/dirty_hop_ups/Xtreme_chasis/electric_redo3.jpg

Did those holes on the rpm esc mount line up w/the holes on that battery holder. Right now I have mine mounted to my rear shock tower but if it lines up I want to do it because I am having trouble w/my battery popping out.

Originally posted by CIREBLAIR
Did those holes on the rpm esc mount line up w/the holes on that battery holder. Right now I have mine mounted to my rear shock tower but if it lines up I want to do it because I am having trouble w/my battery popping out.

Yea it lines up perfectly I did revese the way it is installed and I also cut the front edge off so that there is no lip on the edge so that that my battery pack that I made the batts don't hang on the lip.

Originally posted by PedeDestroyer
Do you still get glitching?
See Ya:)

What a useful post :eek:

I recently got a second hand Associated TC3 with a graphite chassis. I transferred all of my radio gear (Futaba 2PB AM) from my Tamiya TL01 (plastic chassis) and it was instant "Glitch O Rama". I solved the problem by buying a couple of small round ferrite cores from Radio Shack, and looping the motor wires through them. I don't know if it will help you, but it only cost $3 for the ferrites. I guess the motor capacitors just weren't enough to quench the RFI coming from the motor. And the conductive graphite chassis could be reflecting all the RFI to the receiver.

Last edited:
Ferrite cores are made from compressed metal particles. They come in all different sizes and shapes. The ones I got look like little donuts about the size of a dime. They are commonly used in power supplies to eliminate RFI (Radio Frequency Interference).
If you have an old PC power supply kicking around, you'll find at least a half a dozen of them inside. I will take a snapshot tomorrow and post it here.

arcee

A picture is worth 1000 words

So, here's a picture of the ferrite core installed on the motor leads. This particular one is painted, they usually come in black (unpainted). X, I'm going to e-mail you the full resolution picture.

arcee

Attachments

• ferrite core on motor leads sm.jpg
    ferrite core on motor leads sm.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 221
Carbon fiber is known to produce electronic interference. Like Eddy said, you will have to isolate and insulate all wiring and casings to reduce the amount of interference the chassis will tend to produce.

THOSE FERRITE CORES: CAN THEY BE PLACE ON ALL MY WIRES? WOULD THAT HELP MY GLITCHING

Originally posted by CIREBLAIR
THOSE FERRITE CORES: CAN THEY BE PLACE ON ALL MY WIRES? WOULD THAT HELP MY GLITCHING

I suppose it couldn't hurt, but hopefully just placing them on the motor leads will fix the problem!

Back