XTM .18 in a maxx..experience

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lykan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey ya, I had my XTM .18 in the ST, and it ran great.. I loved it, with tons of power.

Anyhow I finally got the broken head bolt out, and stuck it in the maxx. It does suprisingly well.

It's a used engine for sure, has about 2 gallons on it (it was my first nitro engine) Even though it saw the newbie abuse, it was running pretty damned sweet. Once I get the tank from my ST put in I'm sure tunning will be breeze again.

Things I noticed.
#1 It spun the tires a helluva lot more requiring a few good tumbles(read f-ups) before I got the hang of the new power.

#2 Shift point..witht he trx.15 pro, it would have to rap out before it shifted, almost screaming. ith the .18 it would shift in about 4 feet(not even in the powerband yet), as a matter of fact, it stayed in second gear almost all the time. Throttle-spin-shift-spin.

#3 It ran a lot cooler than the trx.

#4, all around better power, and tunning.

I sold one of my maxxes, and was going to sell the other. Now, I think I'm going to buy a brand new $85 .18 and have some fun with it :D

I'll just have to save the rest of my way to the savage. I just can't let this one go after the transplant.

*edit* I know some were asking, is this engine worth putting in the maxx, I would say definetaly. I would really like to see a brand new one (without all the newbie abuse) and see the engines full potential. I didn't expect much, it's worn but I was impressed.

When I pick up the new .18, I will let you know how well it does fresh after breakin.

Last edited:
XTM does have good enignes, i had their XTm .15 i think in my HPI Nitro MT and that thing screamed. thanks for giving us this great review on the engine. oo i just found one on eBay brand new for $75...

later

That sounds pretty cool, the price is right to at 85 bucks I might look into getting one. good review!

Like I said the engine is pretty much worn out I think, and it still does really well, it for sure has some serious high end rev's at 1/4 revs it's already shifting, when the trx .15 pro was wound out.

I am going to transplant the fuel tank from the stadium truck today, and see if it is actually worn out, or the T-maxx tank just bites that bad for tuning.

I have the hang of tuning, but it seems like anything I put on the maxx just won't tune worth a shoot. I'll report back when I have a good tune on it, and again when I get a new one.

Back