X Maxx (broken drivetrain) Diagnosis?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMS

U.S. Army Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
The video is self explanatory.

I was on dirt jumping and bouncing along, but the donuts in the dirt didn’t help as that is when things came to a standstill. Grinding sound from the rear and no forward/reverse.

Steering works but a grinding sound exists.

Mid South Hobbies figures it is either differential or cush drive—maybe both, open ticket.

Either way it is at the shop getting diagnosed. Having the front steering servo upgraded to metal gears (either the 2085x or Savox) while the truck is deadlined.

I’ve had 40 plus good runs on the truck and can’t complain—as all mechanical things break. I don’t abuse/nor baby X—run and jump it (deer camp)—with a few high speed pavement blasts.

Will be interesting to learn the final diagnosis.

Last edited:
You have to upload the vid to YT then share the link here.

Mid South Hobbies (thank you Hector) diagnosed and fixed my X-Maxx.

The differential needed servicing as 40 runs was a bit too much without maintenance—and yes I’d neglected it after a lot of driving. It wasn’t transferring power at all due to neglect (by me) and simply needed PMCS. Cush drive and gear lash/pinion was fine.

Lesson learned—I’ll start a maintenance schedule similar to what I do with our family cars/trucks.

Good news is X is back in the toy room with her smaller “siblings”, lol.

@WickedFog I appreciated the tips on downloading videos from YouTube. I’m not a big video guy.

Attachments

• 15EE6394-DF9A-422B-A0A6-4E6ABBF83999.jpeg
    15EE6394-DF9A-422B-A0A6-4E6ABBF83999.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 73
Back