Winter running questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WazabiQc

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, i'm looking to get my t-maxx waterproof, i ordered two 2075 servos for steering and throttle, didn't bother about the reverse one as if it breaks, i still got two 2055 to replace it ( i'll probably take it out of my truck anyway)! I was wondering, what do you suggest to seal the receiver and battery pack? And should i think about sealing the ez start system too? I know it's best not to run in snow but 5 months a year, there's a couple feets of snow outside and there's no indoor track near me so.. yeah.

Upgrading your AA batteries to a rechargeable humpback and plasti-dipping it
should eliminate your battery moisture issues. Theres several ways you can go to make your receiver water resistant.
You could put your receiver in a balloon or latex glove and wrap the end around the wires with a zip tie.
Another choice is adapt a water resistant receiver box from a Stampede or Rustler.
or seal your receiver box with automotive gasket sealant.
The only way to truly waterproof your receiver is to plasti- dip it with everything plugged in beforehand.
I also recommend a Outerwears cover for your air filter:

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/pro...plastidip.com/industrial_solutions/Plasti_Dip

As for the EZ start motor, maybe try to stretch a balloon or latex glove over it?

The balloon trick always worked great for me. I woul look into the newer Emaxx receiver box it is sealed up nice. Don't worry about your easy starter its a brushed motor a little water won't hurt it.:D I have a old pro .15 maxx that I run in the winter with a full force ski kit for the front. Never had an issue with the Ez start what so ever.

where do you put the antenna if you do the balloon trick ? i'll look into those advices, thank you guys. instead of plasti-dip, could i use sillicone around the holes in it ?

I don't run my MAXX in wet weather I know I can but I just chose not too & risk a possible electronic problem down the line... My Bashing buddy has a E-MAXX & he runs his in all kinds of weather & it's bone stock from TRAXXAS with the waterproof electronics & all he does is hose off his rig " In Winter Months " he runs his RIG under the kitchen sink " His Wife hates when we does it LOL... & than takes an Air gun to the Rig & to my knowledge he has not had any problems... SO I think if you go will the TRAXXAS Waterproof electronics you should not have to do all that stuff the other guys are talking about.......

where do you put the antenna if you do the balloon trick ? i'll look into those advices, thank you guys. instead of plasti-dip, could i use sillicone around the holes in it ?

Servo, battery and antenna wires exit through the end of the balloon.
You can seal up the holes and seams on the outside your receiver box.
Combination of the two should give you good water resistance.

well i got two 2075 servos for my steering and throttle, ballooned my batteries and plasti dipped my receiver ! now i'm looking into outwears cover, but i can't find the one for 2.5 t-maxx, only the one for 3.3. which size should i be looking for ?

Here's a little preview. Doing good for now, jumped about 4 feet high, landed in deep snow, couldn't even see the truck because it sank down the snow hehe (don't worry i was running with the cover on, i removed it to blow the snow off with my compressor) :)

20131201_133106_zps0d795134.jpg

stock t-maxx 2.5 tires :p they're called chevrons i think !

If it was me, I'd replace the 2.5 filter with a 3.3 filter, then get the outerwears cover designed for the 3.3 filter. A complete 3.3 air filter assembly will run about 5-10 bucks on ebay, the outerwears cover is about 20 bucks.
You'll need to retune slightly with the additional breathability of the 3.3 should you go this route.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2ca90a7c
http://www.outerwearsracing.com/products.asp?cat=12824
If you want to improve your performance even more, this , in combiniation with the Outerwears listed above would be the ultimate system.
http://www.motorsaver.com/tmaxx.htm

yup, i was thinking about this, but wasn't sure it would fit ! so you tell me it would fit nicely ?

I have the same engine you have. Perfect fit. Sits directly above the tranny.

bit late now but I used an e revo receiver box on my maxx,it almost fits in the same spot as the stock one and its quite compact

If i get a motor saver filter, do i still need the original 3.3 air filter? I can't figure out.

If i get a motor saver filter, do i still need the original 3.3 air filter? I can't figure out.

You're right WazabiQc, it's confusing. Go with the 3.3 air filter.
Guaranteed to fit the Outerwears cover.
I have the motorsaver filter, it's larger diameter than the 3.3
and I really can't say for sure if the Outerwears cover would fit it.