Win XP SP3 problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I am having an issue with XP Sp3 and USB optical mice. Seems that once the patch was pushed any PC using a USB optical mouse starts booting in a loop. Take the mouse off and the PC boots. Put the mouse back and it boots in a loop. Anybody have a fix? Thanks

Tom

Hey guys,

I am having an issue with XP Sp3 and USB optical mice. Seems that once the patch was pushed any PC using a USB optical mouse starts booting in a loop. Take the mouse off and the PC boots. Put the mouse back and it boots in a loop. Anybody have a fix? Thanks

Tom

Are you using a AMD based computer? If so, then this problem has actually been around since way back when SP2 came out. There was a hot fix released back then and just now with SP3 has it come back. Your not the only person with this issue and MANY XP users are more than just flustered with the problem. Let me know if there is any way you can get into "safe mode" and I'll try to help you out. If your not able to get into safe mode, then things are gonna get rather tricky.

Here are a few links that may help you out. The first link is Microsoft's "fix", the other 2 are information about the problem and in the 3rd link is one way that someone found to fix it. Honestly though, if you can revert back to SP2 I would do so and then during the automatic updates, choose NOT to upgrade to SP3 just yet:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372/en-us
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2008/05/15/more-on-windows-xp-service-pack-3.aspx
http://www.teckh.com/?p=302

Thanks for the info, but we are using all Intel based PC's. None of which are running an OEM image. I almost wish we were Running AMD platforms so this would be an easy fix. It is only the USB mice having the issue.. no other USB device is affected.

Thanks for the info, but we are using all Intel based PC's. None of which are running an OEM image. I almost wish we were Running AMD platforms so this would be an easy fix. It is only the USB mice having the issue.. no other USB device is affected.

Interesting indeed, I'll keep digging around to see what else I can find out. In the mean time, I wish you luck.

Thanks man I apreciate the help man.

Tom

The easy way out is to CALL tech support and let them waste THEIR time getting it to work.

I bought a new comp with Vista OEM, and purchased a different wireless KB and mouse instead of using the ones that came with it. Keyboard worked fine, but the tech had to get inside my computer to make numerous adjustments to allow a MICROSOFT mouse to work with a MICROSOFT OS.
Meanwhile, I just sat back and watched the cursor wandering and clicking for close to a half hour.
The following day, after a reboot, I had the same problem, another tech took over my comp, and finally got it working permanently. He also had to download and install some patches, and reconfigure them.
All I had to do was turn off and turn on when he needed it rebooted.
You'll tear your hair out doing it on your own. Go make yourself a fresh pot of coffee and call that dreaded 800 number.

The easy way out is to CALL tech support and let them waste THEIR time getting it to work.

I bought a new comp with Vista OEM, and purchased a different wireless KB and mouse instead of using the ones that came with it. Keyboard worked fine, but the tech had to get inside my computer to make numerous adjustments to allow a MICROSOFT mouse to work with a MICROSOFT OS.
Meanwhile, I just sat back and watched the cursor wandering and clicking for close to a half hour.
The following day, after a reboot, I had the same problem, another tech took over my comp, and finally got it working permanently. He also had to download and install some patches, and reconfigure them.
All I had to do was turn off and turn on when he needed it rebooted.
You'll tear your hair out doing it on your own. Go make yourself a fresh pot of coffee and call that dreaded 800 number.

No doubt. Microsoft is offering free over the phone tech support just for this issue. Unfortunately at work I am the 800 number. It turns out that if you turn off legacy support for USB in the BIOS on some of the machines and reboot, everything works fine. On others, for the time being, we have to manually remove SP3.

It's all a communist plot by Microsoft to get you so fed up with XP that you make the jump to Vista ( which is the biggest waste of code since Windows ME)
Make the jump to Linux instead. You'll be much happier in the end. Ubuntu is a great choice to start your Linux experience. Try it, you'll like it!!!

It's all a communist plot by Microsoft to get you so fed up with XP that you make the jump to Vista ( which is the biggest waste of code since Windows ME)
Make the jump to Linux instead. You'll be much happier in the end. Ubuntu is a great choice to start your Linux experience. Try it, you'll like it!!!

Oh wow, those words are beautiful man. I was thinking the exact same thing, lol. I try to help trouble shoot the wonderful world of Mickeysoft but ultimately I use Linux. My home PC is setup on Ubuntu and when I go away from home I carry a USB drive that's loaded with MCN Live. Life is so much sweeter when you can carry your OS with you and not worry about if whoever your visiting has the software you need.

Back on topic though, I been looking all around on the forums and haven't found anything that relates just to a specific device. You could try disabling the legacy support in the bios, but I'm not sure how that would help something that seems driver related. :sigh: I have to agree with Rolex, I'd call Microsquash and let them poke around.

BULL! dont you mean make the drop to linux? i hate linux. most programs dont run on it. all of the programs i use for my work only run on windows.

I have XP SP3 (Media Center) on my machine, and the only issue I had was with a Microsoft gaming wheel. I uninstalled the drivers, unplugged the wheel, rebooted, plugged in the wheel, and reinstalled the drivers, and presto! Stable system!

BULL! dont you mean make the drop to linux? i hate linux. most programs dont run on it. all of the programs i use for my work only run on windows.

WINE installer. I use all my Windoze programs on Ubuntu with no problems at all.

u dont run frame straigntnig programs or special programs to find part numbers for hundreds of cars now do you and why bother with installers

I'm not turning this thread into an argument.

neither am i. i just dont like linux. and i really dont want to download more software in order to run the programs i need. and i dont feel like spending $2000 on a mac just yet.

Hey guys,

Tom

Ok kids. This isn't Oprahs blog. Let's get back on track.

How about just using a PS2 optical mouse? I believe all motherboards except the newer Asus boards still come with this option.
There seems to be a compatability issue with SP3/RC1,2 and 3?? and a LOT of things. Like USB and Symantec software (like Norton) to name a few. The advice out there is to uninstall SP3 from your add/remove programs and don't let it reinstall. It's doing more bad than good right now. Perhaps RC4 will take care of things.

Last edited: