Will not start after 3 years !!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanos

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi to all!!

I had to check my account to realize it has been about 3 years that I haven’t used my Savage 4.6 …:(
All I’ve done these years, was to spray some WD-40 inside the cylinder every few months, turn the motor by hand and let it sit in the bottom / lower piston position.
Now that I decided to “play” again, it won’t start….
Everything is charged, roto-start turns OK, glow plug gives a nice orange/white glow, there is compression, no leaks detected, fuel runs OK if I blow the pressure pipe from the exhaust …
Could it be the fuel? It probably is more than 4 years old …
I even tried to run it lean (screwed in by one turn) but no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,
Thanos

Has the fuel been opened before (unsealed)? If so the nitromethane could have evaporated from the container and could be too tainted to run the rig off of. Try new fuel first.

Yes.. It is half of the original bottle which had been opened and closed several times...
I'll try fresh fuel first.

Thanks for the reply,
Thanos

What's in that bottle is now a pretty good weed killer.

Fresh fuel, fresh batteries, fresh glow plug and it might fire. If not, put a few drops directly into the carb. If it runs and stalls your needles are most likely gummed up with dried fuel residue.

2 posts in just over 5 years. Good to see you're still an active member. :D

Thanks Rolex!! very good ideas..
Sorry for the poor input ... family and road bike take most of my time ...
Thanos

Well, thanks to Rollex's comments I checked the carb and realized it was stuck !! Forced it open by hand and played with the throttle a few times and the beast started roaring!!! It runs fine and the fuel seems to give a good performance.
Is there an easy way to clean the carb (spray something maybe) or do I have to take it apart and service it? (Now I recall that the last few times I forgot to spray WD-40 inside the carb).

Thanks again,
Thanos

This is just me but when I get a carb gummed up from improper storage I take the carb off. Cut the fingers off a rubber glove stretch the cut off fingers over one of the carb openings and fill it with old nitro, let it sit for a couple hours....or dip the whole carb in old nitro, but that's just me.

Test run was OK. It started up easily and after a few passes, WOT was good, enough smoke, all gears in, even willies!! A few minutes later (half tank?) it would bog / stall in full throttle but would start easily. I played with rich / poor mixture with no luck (didn't try refueling). I guess it is a tuning issue ? I also checked the cylinder and seemed OK. The sleeve is clean and smooth, compression OK but the piston head is a bit dark (pic)!! Is that OK?
Any thoughts?
Thanks for having me here,
Thanos
ndxqjhj

https://www.imageshack.com/i/ndxqjhj

Piston looks normal or atleast thats what most of my pistons would look like after some good run time. Chances are your carb is the culprit, if a piece of gunk dislodged and got stuck in one of the jets your restricting something somewhere, is it a lean bog? For sure it wouldn't hurt to pull your carb needles (turn them in to fully seated and take note of the turns before you take them out) and soak your carb/spray through it. I used to use carb spray sparingly to spray out the jets, then soak in nitro fuel.

Thanks override. I think it's time for a carb service. I'll take it apart and clean it.
Thanks

Might sound simple. But have u replaced all your fuel lines and checked your fuel tank o ring? Worth a shot.

Try blowing into the tank through the line coming from the pipe, like you would to prime the engine. If nothing moves then you've either got a carb obstruction or the lsn closed too far.
I always spray a little food grade penetrating oil into my carbs through the fuel line for storage, to flush out any residual fuel. The food grade penetrating oil was free from my work, it won't harm any seals, and comes with a handy straw ;)

Last edited:
priming carb was OK. Will check piping and sealing also.
thanks,
Thanos