wifi range extender

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Do they work and do any of you use them?

IMO no they do not work well. they tend to be unreliable in performance. Essentially they take your existing WiFi and repeat it witha stronger TX. The problem is if you have weak WiFi to begin with then you have intermittent performance. Try getting a WAP instead. it uses a hard LAN in and then transmit your signal

Thanks for the reply but what is a WAP and where would I get one?

My current wireless router is provided by my phone company, it was more than enough at my old house. I had a one acre lot and it covered that with no problem. In the new house the same router doesn't have signal through out the house much less outside...It's pissing off!

A WAP is a wireless access point. It uses an ethernet cable plugged into the router to supply its network interface and then provides wireless connectivity. They can be purchased at most larger computer parts places. I prefer newegg.com.

I'm just realizing that we have a few more things trying to run on this router than we had before, and the new house has solid walls through out so that might explain the loss of signal strength? I have one desktop pc plugged into the router, then we have two lap tops, PS3, TV, sling adapter for Dish Network and a few phones all using wireless!

Thoughts on this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833281004

I haven't had any experience with that brand. I have used Cisco/Linksys and D-Link and have had good results. I have also heard good things about TrendNet and TP-Link.