Why the plastic gear?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplakers

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Was just wondering if anyone knew why there is a plastic gear in the xl trans? Finally had a nice day out took it out maybe qt tank wouldn't move. Would think they could put all metal gears in there. How often does this gear strip out? What could of caused it? I'd just sent it in for trans issues got it back after they said was just the tune.

kinda making me mad though still have no shipping label from hpi. They still owe me a set of shocks a arms & rims.

I'm not sure why they do that anyways because everything is steel. I've never had a problem with it personally but someday I might upgrade. I lnow if you pit a monster engine in it you might have to upgrade anyways or just drop the 3 speed in favor for the 2 speed.

Most RC companies will use a nylon spur gear. This is not out of the ordinary. The biggest reason is it gives a designed weakness. In other words, it provides a weak point so if something goes wrong you are out a couple of bucks for a new spur instead of a whole transmission or drivetrain.

I'm not sure why they do that anyways because everything is steel. I've never had a problem with it personally but someday I might upgrade. I lnow if you pit a monster engine in it you might have to upgrade anyways or just drop the 3 speed in favor for the 2 speed.

Even the 3 speed has a plastic or nylon gear in it. Just fyi.