Why so darned hot?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AL_3107

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi everyone,

I am really not sure what the heck is going on. I am just a casual basher and used to race 10th scale many years ago so recently got back into Nitro and have a 1/8th scale Kyosho Inferno Neo with a GX.21 engine.

I broke the engine in as follows - first 2 tanks I idled till dry - 3 to 4 tanks less than 20% throttle - 5 - to 6 - 30% throttle 7 - 8 tanks 40% to 60% 8 to 10 tanks I was gently going up to 80% in very short bursts every minute or so.

Every 3 or 4 tanks I have put a few drops of engine oil in and spun it with no glow plug.

after that I still took it slow for another few tanks. a wisp of smoke from the exhaust and a tiny bit boggy when I accelerate, which I believe is on the safe side of not being too lean for casual bashing purposes.

so - after being a bit more adventurous, I have started to be a bit more aggressive with the throttle - no more than a few WOT blips....less than a second at a time every 20 seconds or so ( or maybe a little more)...etc.

I get to half a tank....precisely ....every time and she dies and will not start again. I measured the temp at this point and I could not believe the temp 356 ºF!!!! After checking it again i took the body shell off and let it cool right down.

My LSP needle is about 2mm out from flush and my HSP needle is 3 turns out which I believe both are considered very rich settings?

My LHS ( where I got the buggy) just shrug their shoulders and say the no6 OS plugs and 25% Nitro is correct and can't figure it out... ( I think they are more into Helicopters than cars...). It's also started to idle very high all of a sudden and no amount of richening...etc seems to settle it down.

so - I am concerned that i will have soon have a .21 shaped paperweight soon as I know the temps are just far too high. I know some sites have spoken of 200ºF ......but I go way over that just idling. I know this is just an entry level engine - but it can't be that bad...?!

Any advice / comments would be gratefully received.

Are your temps that high with the body on? If so do you have it ventalated well? If so you prob have a air leak causing your temps to jump up. I would be some sealant around the carb neck and put a zip tie on the air breather and go from there. I would take the body off first and run it while checking your temps anything over about 280-290 is dangerous and you need to kill the motor before you lock it up and let it cool down.

Your LSN sounds like it's too lean. If that's the case, nothing you do with the HSN will bring it down.

If that doesn't help, it's probably got something to do with global warming. :)

have u checked for air leaks and i would re seal it just to be sure..

I'd seal the engine for good measure then try retuning from factory setting with a OS#8 plug. A big block on 25% should only need a medium plug,#6 is hot.

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the time and the advice - I will give it all a try..

Back