Why are 2wd nitro buggies so rare?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1500valk

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
There are stadium trucks (2wd, even though real stadium trucks are 4wd), and there are 4wd 1/8 scale buggies (even though dune buggies are normally 2wd). So, why are there only a couple 2wd Nitro buggies? I only know of the ones by Duratrax. There are 2wd buggies and trucks in electric....
So, why is this? I wouldn't mind having a 2wd nitro buggy, if the quality was decent. The Duratrax Nitro BX was ok, but a bit fragile, fast as heck, though.
Anyone know the answer to this?

Team associated, Kyosho, duratrash, losi and I'm sure that there are more.

Really? I only saw electric buggies from Associated. I will say this for the Duratrash Evader. It's fast as heck, unless you hit a rock and break an A-arm. I ended up putting a Associated front bumper on it, that helped a little. The ball diff seemed to be pretty well made, along with the cvd's. Shocks weren't too awful....

IDK why everyone hates duratrax, they have great customer service and guarantee most parts that break. I just call them up and they send new ones.

I don't hate them. It's just a nick name that stuck.

Team associated's RC10 GT is nitro, 2 wheel drive.

Losi is XXX-nt

I use duratrax turnbuckles on my Hpi Nitro MT. The ones for the evader st are the same size, and the cheapest ones out there. Never broke/bent one yet.

I thought the GT was a truck. I was asking why no 2wd Nitro Buggies.

If you are referring to 1/8th scale buggies scale not having a two wheel drive option, its probably because their engines are too powerful to make much use out of 2wd. It may be ok for trucks because their tires offer a larger contact patch for traction. Although I don't know of anything 1/8th scale that is 2wd.

My buggy violently spins all four of the tires (sending alot of earth skyward) when I give it alot of gas. If it was only 2wd it would be all but impossible to control. You would have to either drastically change your clutch setup, always run a carb restrictor, or just never give it more than 1/4 throttle.

that kind of answers my question, really. I have just wondered why, since there are 2wd buggies in electric, very common class (rc10, etc.....), I was wondering why Duratrax seems to be the only company that makes a Nitro 2wd buggy. Now, the new breed of 1/5 scale buggies are 2wd again, but with a gas "weed eater" engine. I grew up on the 2wd electric class, but as far as I know, there is no 2wd nitro buggy class in sanctioned racing. These are the things that weigh heavy on my mind at night....lol.
maybe I should just shut up now.

Kyosho makes a nitro buggy too, it's a good little runner, but no match for the Evader BX.

As kx250ryder said 2WD would be impossible to control. A mate damaged a front pinion gear in his 1/8 buggy so we made it into 2WD buggy and while he only had a crappy force .21 (one of the least powerful engines you can get?) the thing was impossible to drive. Once the power band came online it would just spin out.

That makes sense, then. I guess Electric 2wd is easier to hook up.

Yeah, my buggy is stock and it is a little hard to control when I nail the throttle.
Think of the Savage being about 3lbs. lighter with smaller tires. :cheers:

Guess we are all talking about 2 different scales. If you are talking Duratrax and the Ass. and Losi buggies then it is 10th scale. these dont run big blocks(normally). Yes with a big block like in a 1/8th buggy RWD would be totally pointless. BUT in 1/10 scale with a .12 or .15 even,a nitro buggy in RWD would be fun. Just not many companies are making them. Not sure why,guess no ROAR class for them. RWD Stadium trucks fill the buggy void in nitro I guess. The flashlights at my local track are the quickest around the track, it would be cool to see some of those in a nitro version.

BRCA (UK) rules allow 2WD cars in the 1:8 rallycross class to run with a 0.5kg minimum weight advantage over 4WD cars, but to my knowledge no-one here has run a 2WD car competitively for years.

IIRC, EFRA has similar rules in mainland Europe and one of the French manufacturers is still producing a 2WD model.

I have always liked the 2wd buggy class in the electrics. I think nitro 2wd would be pretty cool to see, if they would make a class for it.

hey man where abouts in west yorkshire are you?

Back