Who's got the hookups on batteries nowadays + other dumb questions....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterbeavis

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've been out of the loop for a while, dropped off of the face of the earth back when GP3300's were new to the market, and King Shi___... Now I see there are 3600, 4200, 4500, and 5000 MAH packs out there with cells I have never heard of before. So what decent to good cells are out there, and where is a good place to get an excellent deat on either loose cells, or assembled packs? Intended application is a bone stock Emaxx, future upgrade to a brushless motor possibly? I have a Triton2, Super Brain 959, (first gen?) Pinnacle+, and the Dynamite Mega Dual-E. Are these things good enough chargers for today's batteries? I never did get a good answer on whether the Dual-E would properly charge NIMH batteries, will it??

A couple of my battery packs (now old as hell) have no markers on them for whether they are NICD or NIMH, and have a colored jacket that prevents me from identifying the cell, or any writing on them. When I charge them, I just set the timer to NIMH and it goes to town, but is there a way to (guess) what the cell chemistry is without opening up the packs?

TIA

Any batteries will be better than the ones that have been laying around for years. As for identifying the cells, I wouldn't worry about it. If the manufacturer didn't print the specs on the shrink wrap, they're nothing special. Probably 1100-1500 nicd. This is only a guess. If they take a charge and satisfy you, by all means use them. The charger question; I couldn't tell ya. I charge 3000 nimhs with my Dynamite Vision Peak which is almost ten years old, and it works fine. I think as long as you charge at the right amp output, you can use older nicd chargers with nimh cells. I would get a second opinion, though.

Any batteries will be better than the ones that have been laying around for years. As for identifying the cells, I wouldn't worry about it. If the manufacturer didn't print the specs on the shrink wrap, they're nothing special. Probably 1100-1500 nicd. This is only a guess. If they take a charge and satisfy you, by all means use them. The charger question; I couldn't tell ya. I charge 3000 nimhs with my Dynamite Vision Peak which is almost ten years old, and it works fine. I think as long as you charge at the right amp output, you can use older nicd chargers with nimh cells. I would get a second opinion, though.

Some of the packs I own have had the stickers come off either because of water, wear, or cheap stickers. Back in my day, unless you were buying a super expensive pack, all most all sport packs were wrapped in colored shrink wrap, I have no clue what they are anymore, aside from a rough guesstimate on capacity based on what the charger states they are holding.