Where there's mud...There's water........

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRevo

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So after dropping 60 bucks at the hobby shop today on two 3.3 wheels that of course don't match my 2.5 wheels, two talon tires, some glue, a new fuel bottle and some other odds and ends, we decide to head to the soccer fields for a little off-roading.

My friend Scotty was ahead of me while I fired the truck up and was eyeballing some mud. I figured it was time to clean it anyway, so I took off full throttle making some beautiful rooster tails til the truck lost traction, flipped and rolled upside down in 8 inches of water hidden by a layer of grass clippings. the only thing above water were the tires. Of course within two seconds the truck sputters to a stop. The whole run lasted no more than 20 seconds. while he's running to get it, i try to turn the wheels and move the throttle, but of course NOTHING.....

We get it out, pull the body and the air cleaner is FULL of water. I look into the carb, and you guessed it, nothing but water.

We get to the house and pull the motor, pull the carb, exhaust, EZ start, and glowplug and start trying to flush the water out with WD-40. I put the ez start back on, spin the motor over and it sounds good. put everything back on, hook up the fuel tank, and it fired up and ran perfect believe it or not. Once we found out the engine was good we went to the electronics. Long story short, I had to steal the receiver and steering servo from my Maxx and its back to 100%. Almost sucks though. as soon as the truck went under water the first thing out of my mouth was oh well, time for a 5308.

100_1095.jpg

100_1098.jpg

100_1097.jpg

Note the mismatched wheels...yeah, its a basher...

Wow that is intense lol too bad about the 5308 tho mabye next time you can find a bigger puddle. The electronics might still be good tho, let em dry out and clean em up they are funny like that when they get wet like a 50/50

Its either going to be a 5308 or a 5B.

While we were checking out the electronics, the receiver was working, I cut off the battery and I guess it died. luckily the Maxx is down for a bit with a busted control arm.

Oh yeah, one of my steering servos had already went out, so i was running on one 2055 til this happened. Now I'm back to an old 2018 which hardly turns the wheels. Time for an upgrade...maybe waterproof....

Good thing is, you didn't suck any mud into the motor. Water can easily be cleaned out, that was a good idea, stripping down the motor and flushing it with WD-40.

I like the mis-matched wheels, adds to the 'basher' look.

Same size, just different style. 2.5 chrome on three corners and a 3.3. I figured i would leave the other wheel/tire unglued in case i stripped another hub. that way i could make sure the tire was in the right direction. My new 17mm hubs shipped today and the auction is ending on my new wheels and tires tomorrow.

As far as diffs go, the rear is a spool and the front i'm afraid is grenaded also. I'm bidding on new front and rear diffs on ebay next.

As i was spraying WD-40 in, i was spinning the EZ start so it would circulate through it. I really figured had hydro-locked it. Did that once mudding with my cousin in his Ford. Its not cheap to rebuild a Power-stroke either....

Last edited:
Back