what should be my first upgrade?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinkstar1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just got my first tmaxx not sure which model, but it has a 3.3,with a TQ3 remote and the plastic is grey with no reverse. 1st question which model is this (4910,4909,4908,or 4907)? 2nd. Everything appears to be stock, so what would you recommend as my first upgrade?

first upgrade? a fail safe.

second, setting failsafe correctly.

:D

Or just get the 2.4 Traxxas Link Rx/Tx, which has the built in failsafe and better range. Traxxas power up program will get it for $65 ??? I think

^40-50 bucks on ebay, it's better than 20 for a failsafe.

How tall are the tires on it? Your 2nd upgrade should be a 5 cell hump battery.

+1 on the hump pack for sure!!! Replacing the AA's sucked....piss on AA's...

Yeah, I forgot, you can get a 2.4 Link for super cheap on ebay. Check out Jenny's rc sport on ebay, one of the sellers there.

Proline trenchers would be a really nice first upgrade.

I'm not sure but I believe the tires are stock measuring 6 inches, Now as far as the hump pack, My understanding is that it will power the servos,etc. where does the hump pac install at? If it goes where the aa batteries are does it fit in the same box? And will the pac charge with the same charger that the ez start uses?

It fits in the grey box, and you'll need traxxas part # 3034 on-off switch as well.

I was looking on the traxxas site, is the blue color #3037 the battery pack that I'd be purchasing, or is there similar less priced options out there? $30 from traxxas. just got ebay plenty of battery option there.
If I were to put some aluminum on her what brand do you suggest, and which part to start with?

Last edited:
Alot of us will tell you to stay away from aluminum for your suspension arms. Once they bent your suspension is screwed. IMO go RPM for suspension arms. If you want some aluminum look at bulkheads, shocktowers, or bumpers. IMO stay away from Integy products as they arent durable at all and a waste of $. GH makes some good looking stuff and durable

1)Upgrade to a 2.4 ghz radio system(Ebay has lot's of different MFG's 2.4 ghz TX/RX's from $38 &up).
2)Replace the plastic bushings in the steering & throttle bell cranks.
3)Upgrade to a higher torque metal gear steering servo.

Aluminum bulkheads and lower chassis braces, Rpm a arms, big bore aluminum shocks, a hump pack and a 2.4 ghz radio system. Keep the aluminum minimal. A good rule of thumb for the T-Maxx is alloy down the center and Rpm at the corners. I agree stay away from Integy it's crap.

If it's a 4908 or 4907 then a better servo is a waste of money....unless you can find a better servo saver or servo saver spring.

A 5 cell hump battery would be #2 on my list for sure.

Thanks guys for your input and opinions, now that I got a wish list, time to go shopping

Aluminum bulkheads are are good one as well. I've got Golden Horizon on mine and they are really good fit and finish and not too expensive either. You can't go wrong with RPM arms either. Have never used one, but the FlySky 2.4ghz Rx/Tx looks like a really good option for $60. I have seen some good reviews of it on youtube, and have read good reviews on forums. Post up some pics of your "new" ride already!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fly-Sky-FS-GT3B-3ch-2-4GHz-Transmitter-Receiver-AIOU-/110659769924?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c3d61644

Last edited:
I would also say stay far away from Integy. And do not aluminize the entire truck, or you will find fitment issues with EVERYTHING the first time you crash your truck, because everything will be bent.

I went through about 5 sets of aluminum Integy A-arms before finally going with RPMs, and I'll never look back... Haven't broke anything RPM yet.

a good hump pack is from only batteries.They have a unit that replaces the whole stock case with switch and led voltage display for like 40.00.also the flysky radio is a good choice

A 5 cell hump pack will fit directly in the stock battery box.

+1 on aluminum bulks and skid plates too.....as long as they're not Integarbage.

I'm still checking out all your opinions keep em coming. One thing seems in common Integy does not sound like a quailty product

You wont find anyone on here that says much good about the Integy stuff.

I'm still checking out all your opinions keep em coming. One thing seems in common Integy does not sound like a quailty product

I started with my T-Maxx like 4 years ago, and after about 3 or 4 months of owning it, I knew Integy was terrible. Bad thing was I had to find out first hand by wasting tons of cash on more Integy crap and continuously breaking all of it.

Back