What pinion gear?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

What tooth pinion are you guys using with your BL motors in your Slash? I am running the stock spur and am running a 8.5 Novak motor. Thanks guys.

Tom

well I am running a castle 5700 which is about the same as your 8.5 and I am running stock spur(86) and 18 tooth pinion, no heat issues on 2 cell lipo.

Thanks... I was thinking of going anywhere between 17 and 19... with the stock setup. That was what I was worried about... heat.

Can anyone explain exactly how one comes up with a pinion spur combo.. or is it just a trial and error thing?

Thanks guys.

Tom

Afternoon Bump!!

Can anyone explain exactly how one comes up with a pinion spur combo.. or is it just a trial and error thing?

It is trial and error. You can reduce your chance for error if you start with a smaller pinion initially.

Wit your motor I'd start with a 16 tooth pinion, run it for a full pack and check temps frequently. If the motor stays at 140 F or below you are safe to move up in pinion size. I use 140 F as my target temp for all my brushless motors.

+1 on what Sweetdiesel said, i was running the stock pinion and spur and caught a castle 5700kv motor on fire with a 3s pack.

Thanks SweetD! I will start from there.

Alpine... you really caught a motor on fire? Wow!

Yea, it was pretty funny.

Wow! I thought I crapped my paints when my battery pack exploaded! I would have lost my mind if I saw fire! Did you it kill the ESC as well, or just the motor? What motor did you loose?

I had the Castle 5700 running on a 3s with stock gearing, in grass. Not a good combo...... ESC was fine. Still running it today, but with a 3600kv (i think) velenion motor.

Hey sweetD.... I was running 131 with a 17 tooth pinion... would you go up to say a 19th or stay right where I am at? Thanks man.

Hey Alpine... did you have to buy the whole veleneon setup or did you just buy the motor?

Tom

I just bought a stampede vxl off craigslist, then stripped it.

Hey sweetD.... I was running 131 with a 17 tooth pinion... would you go up to say a 19th or stay right where I am at? Thanks man.

If you are satisfied with the speed I'd stick with it, nothing wrong with running a little cooler. If you do make the jump, I'd go 1 tooth at a time.

Also look at ambient temps, if you're running 131 at say 85 degrees ambient temps, I'd stay with a 17 tooth pinion unless you know for sure that your ambient temps won't get much hotter the rest of the year.

If you are satisfied with the speed I'd stick with it, nothing wrong with running a little cooler. If you do make the jump, I'd go 1 tooth at a time.

Also look at ambient temps, if you're running 131 at say 85 degrees ambient temps, I'd stay with a 17 tooth pinion unless you know for sure that your ambient temps won't get much hotter the rest of the year.

It was close to 90 today, with no humidity... which is actually cool for this time of year here. The temps usually rise into the mid 90's with high humidity. I was more than happy with the speeds... in fact on dirt... it was actually too much power. I had a hard time keeping control at full throttle. How hot to most BL motors run? Is 140 the hottest you would like them to run?

Thanks... I was thinking of going anywhere between 17 and 19... with the stock setup. That was what I was worried about... heat.

Thanks guys.

Tom

hey i run the novak 8.5 too AWESOME setup i run a 17 tooth robinson big difference in heat and not so much in performance just when u put it in make sure your mesh is correct or youll definitly strip the spur the second you goose it just wondering did you get your moter and esc from rampage hobbies?

Back